Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

2006 Mazda5 Navigation bypass

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Default 2006 Mazda5 Navigation bypass

Hey all you Mazda5 peoples, I have a 2006-5 with factory pop-up navigation. Other than the silly joystick control, the most infuriating thing is that one must be completely stopped in order to access the navigation screens or controls. Now I know that this is for all of our safety but does anyone know of a work-around or bypass so that the nav can be accessed at any speed other than stopped? Thanks much btimber from Tampa.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Default idiot proof GPS navigation GUI disabled while moving

I wish to echo the same request on my 2008 GT. It is very annoying to have to stop on the side of the freeway to use the GPS. I can't see how that would be safe?

I went to the dealer to ask if there was a way to enable the address entry feature on the GPS while moving and the answer was no - it was a safety feature. The best work around I came up with is an aftermarket GPS.

Call mazda to complain we paid for a GPS that we should be allowed to use. Perhaps if enough people complain they will reconsider. I would even sign a liablity release form.

Lastly I told all my friends of this annoying feature should they consider an OEM GPS in a future vehicle purchase--I know I will never buy a GPS system with this safety feature again, they can keep it.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:22 AM

Hey delsherif, I will look into this further (when time allows) but my local Car Tunes did a work-around to defeat this feature in my last aftermarket Pioneer In-Dash Nav. radio. I think that there was one wire that was supposed to be hooked-up to the parking brake or something and they connected it to constant power or something. (Don't quote me on this, it was 3+ yrs ago.) The problem with Mazda nav. is that it seems to be connected to speedo somehow. I'm sure there is a way around this but it's going to take someone with the time and alot of auto-electrical knowledge to develop a bypass. Since I am in sales I had to buy a 2nd portable GPS because I get alot of my leads while "on the fly". Also my 06 mapping is way out of date and it was cheaper to spend $60 on a GPS I can actually use than $200 for a new nav dvd!