Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

1st Service on 2.0D Sport (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 AM
Cool 1st Service on 2.0D Sport (UK)

Hi all,

this may have been covered before, but I would like to ask others how much they are paying for their first service on their Diesel Mazda 5's.

I rang my dealer I purchased my car from and was told it would cost £382.

After ringing around a few mazda dealers, the cheapest I could find was £329.

My dealer said they would match this price. After looking in my Owners Manual, even £329 seems an extremly high price to pay for what is essentially, inspect valve clerences, change air filter, change oil and filter and thats about it !!

Any other views on this...?

David

2008 2.0D Sport Nav
Galaxy Grey

Old 02-18-2009, 04:45 AM
Smile

David: I am not conversant enough to make the currency conversion. I am in the USA and just had my 15,000 and 20,000 mile checks done on my used 2008 Mazda5 Sport. That cost was 150 US$ here in South Texas. Some of the items on those two checks are duplicates, for example, the oil change.

How many miles/km is the first check? (5000 mi/ 8000 km)?

They also replaced an inoperative window switch for free that was still under warranty. (Good service by North-park Mazda in San Antonio.)

Hope this helps or is at least informative.

[edit] 329 pounds is 231 US$?

Last edited by sapacif; 02-18-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:52 PM

£329 is more like $470...

The first service on my '09 1,8 gasoline is 20k KM (12,5k miles) or 12 months, whatever comes first.

I'm not sure if the american service cost can be compared with the european cost.
First of all, labour costs are higher i Europe.
Second, the diesel model calls for a valve clearance check which is not done on the gasoline models.
Third, motoroil prices in general are much higher in Europe than in the US. Usually diesel models needs 1-2 liters more oil than gasoline models. Also in Europe expensive synthetic oils are more commonly used due to longer drain intervals, especially on diesel models.

A friend of mine paid approx. £370 for the first service on his '07 110hp diesel. Then again Norway is probably the most expensive country in Europe, possibly the world.

And David, you can look forward to the 120k KM / 75k Miles service when the timing belt on the diesel models is due (gasoline engines are chain driven). Probably costs a fortune!

Anyway - have a great day!

Last edited by kakraemer; 02-18-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:05 AM

The difference between petrol and diesel is that the valve clearances need to be adjusted at the first service on the diesel. This is going to add at least an hour to the labour and also the cost of a gasket. I'm in the same position, mine is due in the next two-three weeks and I'm due to start ringing around. I usually do my own servicing but as it was a fairly new model there may be software updates that are needed and the electronic service history is a bit of a pain as there's no service book to stamp.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:25 AM

Just rang 3 dealers for ours:

£351.66

£340.73

£200.00

Said to the last one is the definately for a 2.0d and they said yes.

Need to ring another one on Monday (local dealer) to see what they say

Old 02-21-2009, 06:40 AM

Is there a 3 year service plan available from your suppling dealer ?

We paid about £400 for 3 years servicing, I think you get to the end of the 1st year to decide.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:36 AM

Thanks for all the replies....

wrxseeker, would you mind telling me which dealer quoted you £200 ?!! It might be a bargaining tool for me to use when contacting my local dealer.!..

co2000, I am waiting for a call from my salesman to see it we qualify for the service plan. They thought it might have only be brought in recently.. Out of interest, when did you buy your car ?

Thanks once again

David

Old 02-27-2009, 04:47 AM

Surprisingly the £200 was an error !!

When I checked it was £300ish but they didnt seem very sure - our car wont be going there.

Spoke to another dealer who quoted £335 who was very helpful and detailed exactly what they do including changing washer jets (???????????) and a gasket set related to the valve clearance check which cost £41.00 ish on its own.

They offered an air con service for an additional £25.

Still a lot of money but a least they knew what they are talking about.

Apparently the mazda 6 diesel has this big 1st service inc washer jets !!

Annoying really as we have a mondeo 2.0tdci at my work which just had its 1st service for under £200 and I thought the engine was basically the same ???

Old 03-01-2009, 01:51 AM

They're completely different engines. The Ford has a timing chain and hydraulic tappets. The Mazda a belt and adjustable tappets.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:48 AM

Thanks for clearing that up Nick.

Found this on wikipedia so I guess I wasnt the only one to think it !!!

"Production of improved, cleaner and more powerful common rail direct-injection turbocharged version of Mazda RF engine was started with July 2005 Mazda 6 facelift. This drivetrain still haves most of typical features of his predecessor including belt-driven SOHC valve train with rocker arms and mechanically adjusted screws (in contrast to frequently mismatched, absolutely different Ford Duratorq ZSD or PSA DW10 engines)."

Quick Reply: 1st Service on 2.0D Sport (UK)