Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Yet Another HID Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Default Yet Another HID Question

I did search first, just didn't come up with anything. I just ordered the Apexcone 6k 35watt H7 kit, and was wondering if I will still have the glare and pattern disruption problems that HID's in Halogen projectors have, because aren't the H7 HID's the same size as a regular halogen capsule? Or is it the amount of light that the HID's put out? Thanks guys.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Yet Another HID Question

You won't have the super-uncontrolled glare problem that happens when someone puts HIDs into a reflector housing. However since the optics are different in the halogen projector you won't get the same beam quality as you would in an actual HID projector. There will be more light leakage above the cutoff and the beam itself will suffer from some "hot spots" of light vs. the more equally spread beam of the HID projector.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 AM

but i wont have the problem of it blinding other drivers right? thats all im worried about at this point. to me, there is no point in having a good looking set of headlights if im endangering other drivers.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

You may have to adjust them a little lower than the Halogen beams are now just to compensate, especially if the stock upper cut-off is compromised, but the usable light output will still be much better.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:04 PM

Thanks guys. I'm going to have to send the kit I got back once I receive it, because they sent the wrong one after I changed the bulb temp. I bought 5000k and switched to 6000k. The gentleman ( I cant remember his name damnit ) at RPM has been a big help with everything so far. He has even contacted me with the order mistake and has told me that I can try the bulbs first to see if I like the color and light output, and if not, he would help me return it and switch them. I've got to say, I'm definitely sticking with RPM from now on. By the way guys, have you seen this page? Everything on it is priced extremely cheap!

http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html

Old 12-02-2008, 12:19 PM

Just ordered another kit from that site. 3000k for my fogs. Always have liked the look of bright yellow fogs with blueish HID's. The total with shipping was a hair over $58, and they were Apexcone/DDM.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Holy crap at those prices! Geez, for $40 who cares about lifetime warranty. You could buy another kit and still be cheaper than most other places.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

I think they are Chinese, or Taiwanese knock-offs. That price is just too good to be the real thing. $50 is less than replacement bulbs would cost. Let alone the ballasts and wiring.
Can I sell you a Rolex?

*edit* Even before making my last post above I took the liberty of looking around that site, and the only things that are cheaper than usual, orout rightexpensive, are the HID kits.Everything else seems to cost a premium. That is what makes mevery suspicious.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 PM

But why sell cheap knock-off kits with DDM's phone number at the bottom of the page?

Old 12-02-2008, 10:40 PM

BTW, here is a copy of a line from my receipt.

This email confirms that you have authorized a payment to Apexcone (techsupport@ddmtuning.com) for $58.45 USD using PayPal.

Quick Reply: Yet Another HID Question