Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

XM Radio kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Default XM Radio kit?

can an XM radio kit be installed in the mazda3?

Old 02-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Default RE: XM Radio kit?

yes

Old 03-27-2006, 11:56 PM

Hey Tracker,

I was wondering if you could elaborate on your answer. How exactly can I hook up XM to my 2006 Mazda3? I'd really like to utilize the "SAT" option on my radio and be able to use the radio controls and display to control/view my XM.

Thanks!
Mike

Old 03-28-2006, 12:50 AM

actually, its incredibly easy...i just read the instructions after i opened the box, i just asked at first because i didnt want to open it and not be able to return it. Anyway, what you do is find a station on ur AM/FM radio that doesn't come in at all, complete static, and you program the XM kit to that station (the station with the least interference, which allows for the clearest signal)

All you have to do is mount the kit someplace, and run the antenna to a place with a clear receiving path. the antenna is real long, i ran the antenna wire under the passenger seat, under the plastic moldings inside the car, into the trunk, taped it up, then fed it through the weatherstripping and plopped the antenna right on the trunk deck right in the center closest to the window. it fits real well and there is still a seal on the trunk area.

As for the mobil unit itself, i placed it on top of that little ashtray flap door...now i dont have a useable ashtray thing, but i dont smoke so i dont really care. it fits perfectly and doesnt obstruct my shifting, plus it stays out of the sun no matter what time of day.

You dont use the SAT function with the XM. I believe its only used when you purchase the Sirius Satellite radio for the mazda. If you buy an XM mobile kit it will work as long as you have the station selected on your AM/FM radio.

hope this kinda helps.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:50 AM

he took my answer

Old 03-28-2006, 08:51 PM

sure xm can go in your mazda, another awesome option is your ipod, you just change the radio station to like 88.7 fm or something that doesn't come in and you can listen to any music on your ipod, but you need to buy a separate piece that hooks into the ipod its only $50 and you can have all of your cd's and songs right at your finger tips

Old 03-29-2006, 12:12 AM

yes you can. I have the Monster Cable for my ipod and I just choose about 3 stations with low frequency. But usually I only use 2 because if the firfst isn't so static anymore, the second is. The only thing I do not like about it is that the ipod does not play with the same quality through a connection as it would through your computer or headphones And do you guys prefer XM or Sirius I am looking to get satellite radio.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:39 PM

Well here is one product that you can use to play your iPod thru your stereo, this is sold thru Crutchfield, or at Ultimate Electronics

Harman Kardon Drive + Play
iPodĀ® control system
Item #108DP1US

$199.99

As for satellite radio, i would probably go with Sirius, since it is sold thre Mazda, and the kit they sell should be able to use the stock radio to tune it, there is a plug on the back of the stereo to allow for components, such as satellite radio or cd-changer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2492/2D715A57377B4832B7B1E22DC46DA2A4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2006, 05:55 PM
DM3

Originally I had my Delphi Roady2 XM radio in my 3 with the display as red and it looked & worked OK. Unfortunately, there are too many FM stations in my area (DC metro area) and I was constantly having to change the FM transmit signal from the Roady2 because of all the FM interferance. Fortunately, I have a Pioneer head unit with the optional XM tuner base and because I love XM so much I decided to see if I could install it in my 3. Went to http://www.crutchfield.com and searched for appropriate equipment for the Maz 3 and found a dash install kit as well as an add-on interface to enable the steering wheel stereo control buttons to work on the Pioneer. Crutchfield includes photo/descriptions for the Mazda 3 to remove the stock unit and to install the Dash mounting plate, Pioneer head unit and the button adapter. Removal/install was simple and quick! However the replacement system did uncover a problem that I believe has been covered on this post in the past. The Stock speakers do not produce good sound and the door mounts a prone to rattle. Back to Crutchfield to buy speakers and SUB. A day later (std shipping) my new Alpine speakers and Infinity BassLink powered sub were here. Using the supplied directions and adapters form Crutchfield - all was installed with no drama. The replacement/new system is Great! The only drawback is the aftermarket look of the Pioneer in the dash. The dash mouning plate looks as good as stock but the extra area around the Pioneer looks plain and not as nice a look as the stock but I do have much better sound.
I installed the XM tuner card under the carpet on the front passenger floor/firewall board. You would not know it was there unless I told you where it is.
All in all the install and upgrade of the sound system was easy. If you have basic electronics knowledge, you should be able to complete without any problems. Just plan according to your skill level. Experienced - a few hours. Clueless - a whole day.

Have fun and enjoy XM/Sirrius!

Old 04-04-2006, 07:35 PM

Sounds good, and the install came out quick and painless and looks good i assume, thats what matters. and when upgrading the stock stereo to an aftermarket, you woould always to upgrade the stock speakers, since the stock unit pushes, maybe 20watts, the stock speakers cant handle the 40x4watts or more from an aftermarket, and since you told us where the XM tuner card is...haha.

Quick Reply: XM Radio kit?