Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

windshield insulation coming out! what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Default windshield insulation coming out! what to do?

hey yall... got my car not too long ago and i noticed the insulation (the black foamy stuff) that in top of my dashboard is coming out. i got it checked once already and the guy told me that they put/stuff it back in. i was wondering what caused this to happen?

one week later, the foam insulation that keeps the window from hittin gthe dashboard is coming out again...

Old 07-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: windshield insulation coming out! what to do?

My, you do seem to have some interesting problems.
I'm assuming from your description that it's the butyl installation tape you're seeing?
I hadn't read or heard anyone having this problem. Cracked and broken windshields, yes, but notthe tape coming into the cabin.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:44 PM

yes i do mr. virgin =) i have some unique issues... what do you think i shuld do?

Old 07-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

If it is the butyl tape that holds the windshield glass in, there is only one thing to do. Takeit to a pro glass shop and have them look @ it. Get an estimatefor removing/reinstalling the glassthen take it to your dealer and have them do it... that is, if they refuse to do it on their own.
But be sure that that is the problerm first.(That's why I suggestgoing to an independant shop first.) Know what you're talking about, baffle them w/your knowledge of the automobile,and they will have little choice.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:11 PM

not sure what the material is... it's foamy looking black insulation inside the car on the edge

Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 AM

It's a foam tape that is used widely in the auto industry. Sometimes the material can "creep"...i.e. the adhesive loses some of it's grip (possibly when the tape was installed the operator got their hand on it, or the adhesive got a little dirty.)

Either push it back into the gap, cut the excess that is squeezing out, or ask the dealer to replace the strip with a new piece.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:15 AM

it's been pushed back in once already, so i guess it would be best to get it replaced. what should i say to back it up?

Old 07-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah. That sounds like the foam tape they use to quiet queaks and rattles between panels,often between a plastic piece and something else... like another plastic piece.
The dealer should replace that for you no questions asked, imo.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

^^ ^^ WooHoo!!! ^^ ^^ (Post #400!)

Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 PM

okie dokie virgin! yeah i will be heading to the dealer in two weeks so i'll have them to get that fix... yeah i believe ur right... it keeps it from rattling...

Quick Reply: windshield insulation coming out! what to do?