Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Upgrade Questions(the right way)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:20 AM
Default Upgrade Questions(the right way)

I'm sorry gentlemen.I was using my android phone when I made that last post.I was not trying to confuse you.I broke my old computer and had built up so many questions over the last month,I couldn't help myself.Please accept my apologies.
So I will just begin with m first upgrade.I would like to have an intake and exhaust system put in.So i have a few questions.
1.Do these help the engine breath better?Or do they put somewhat of a strain on it?Longevity is my main concern.
2.With the exhaust.Does the high flow cat and racing pipe kill your gas mileage?
3.I would be interested in some headers as well.Are they a bit*h to install?
4.I have read the CEL will turn on if I do not have the ECU flashed.Is this super expensive?And does that apply to just the intake or the exhaust as well?
5.Cold air intakes are more expensive.So I am guessing they are better?
I have looked up several exhaust vids on you tube,as well as perusing the upgrade stickys,on the forum(andys is the best).Any recommendations or comments would be appreciated.
I(hypothetically)want a Borla,HKS or DC sports exhaust.But can easily be talked out of it with some info from the pro's(A system off a mazda speed 3 was put out there too).
Intakes,DC,Fujita and Ingen are a few I have prospected as far as price and sound(vids from youtube)goes.
Virgin,I hope this is a little easier on the eyes. Thankyou

Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 AM

First what car do you have? Speed or not?
Second, what are you really looking for? Price saver, gas saver, best sound, best performance? What?
Third, alot alot alot of these questions have actually been beaten to death with your same questions, searches come in hand y alot of the time, whether it be google or the forum searches. If I come across direct links I will post them up for you. But check out Mazda3revolutions.com and mazdas247.com. Super active forums for upgrades and excellent stickies to read BEFORE YOU POST. Most of the time they will answer your questions without need for a post.
Oh and just to help you out (we've all made this mistake) for our cars, you're looking for a header, not headers. unless you've got a v8 or something in your car.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:54 AM

1. Yes and no, does the engine breath better? yes, can it make use of it? Not without a real tune

2. High flow cats and race pipe should be left to cars that are boosted

3. Yes

4. ECU reflash wont fix it. Either you get it or you dont, and if your lucky it will go away

5. HA! i assume you think BMW's are awesome as well. Expensive does not mean better, either cold air or short ram, take your pic just dont go with ebay ****

For exhaust no matter who you go with make sure the piping is no bigger than 2.25in, you can have your choice of fart cannons. Get whatever brand you want, its your car, personally Vibrant, Magnaflow or Borla sound the best. Intakes, again no egay try to find one that has the same diameter as throttle body

Old 05-26-2011, 02:18 AM

You kinda seem like me you want the mist for your money with out doing anything crazy. I plan on going aem intake with a speed 3 exaust and a vibrant header. Why?

Because I've heard good things about aem heard they don't throw cel's as much

Speed exaust because you can find them really cheap,they sounds good and they give you about as much performance as anything else

Vibrant header because a TON of people are using them and with good results

Check out mazda3forums.com you can find ALOT of good info on there and a TON of good used performance parts in the fs section ( but with anything used always use cation)