Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   turbo? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/turbo-3017/)

Tracker 04-22-2006 11:08 PM

RE: turbo?

so your saying if i get a Hiboost turbo kit...drop it in and find somebody to fine tune it i should be fine even though i have a auto transmission, but wont that increase lag time between shifts in manual mode, and if i do get one would i have to build up the internals also how much psi can i run if i decide not to redo my internals?

MrTea 04-23-2006 12:24 AM

if you decide to turbo the atx, you should look for valvebodies for sure first. if you have a 4speed, then Lentech will help you out easily, if you have the 5speed, then you might wanna call Level Ten and see if they can help. but turbo on the atx is fine, plenty of oem cars are made that way, the car just has to ge setup to do it. on the stock atx, you will have a "problem" when the tranny shifts, where the engine will rev all the way to redline if you are on it when it shifts. it's like keeping your foot on the pedal on manual tranny and just pushing in the clutch...no resistance leads to revs soaring. with the valvebodies, mine shifts just as fast as a manual, sometimes faster...so no worries.

as far as the engine goes. if you get the HiBoost kit, there is no tuning "necessary" at all, just plug and play. you will see better gains and usually better mileage if you have it dyno tuned, but that's your option. stock you will be looking at about 6psi on the atx setup, which should put down about 215-200+ to the wheels or so. HiBoost is trying to get up to 25psi in with the engine (508hp @ 20psi) but since the stock ecu still uses the MAF sensor for most of it's daily driving sensors, the car goes into safe mode once you get around 18+psi as it things there's a problem when that much air is going in the engine. HiBoost has build bigger intake piping to help with big boost, but the supplied pipe should be good into the 16-18psi range with the IHI turbo used.

hope that helps some

Tracker 04-23-2006 12:44 AM

yeah it helps, its just that i was told that if you have a turbo or supercharger then you HAVE TO HAVE A MANUAL or engine will get wrecked your tranny gets shot and a hole bunch of other stuff happens but what you have told me its ok to have an auto car and it be turbo, so yeah it helps me thanx...now i just need to find a way to break into bill gates house or the local bank...wont you help me.

Lupae3s 04-23-2006 01:34 AM

Tracker: there is a lot of great information in this link for those interested in forced induction...turbo...its a pretty educational discussion in which both Juan of HighBoost and the guys at ASE/Hass handing out a lot of information.

oops, forgot linkage...
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=26859.0

MrTea 04-23-2006 02:58 AM

the hard thing for me, is there have been more "problems" with the 5speed manual than the atx. regarding loosing 3rd gear in a good number of manuals so far...where i have only heard of 1 atx lost. the turbo doesn't care what kinda of transmission you have, it just provides power to the engine....whatever your weakest link is, will break first. think of it that way and you'll be fine.

what tranny you have by the way, don't know if you have said yet. makes upgrade options a little easier to find.

Tracker 04-23-2006 12:46 PM

who....me? i got the atx with tiptronic transmission which brings me to another question....is it alright to drive in tiptronic mode, also for casual driving in regular auto mode since the car shifts at very low rpms and at low speeds its not a good thing to all of the sudden floor it is it?

MrTea 04-23-2006 04:07 PM

4 speed or 5 speed atx?

Tracker 04-24-2006 07:33 PM

4....well 3 if i shift at 6500 rpms each time

MrTea 04-24-2006 07:59 PM

yeah, then you can just go to Lentechautomatics.com and order the valvebodies and you'd be golden with the turbo on stock boost. they can build you whatever tranny you want too, if you want more power. i'm looking for 300-350 around town on my car, so i don't think my tranny will last much longer. so i'll be seeking out a full tranny with LSD at that point.

i also recommend the valvebodies for bolt on upgrades, it's just a general good mod. makes driving the car much more fun.

Tracker 04-24-2006 08:22 PM

god i cant wait till my warrenty runs out