Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Default turbo?

hey guys! new to this forum...Im purchaseing a mazda 3 GT pritty soon here..and like everyone says here, for the money this is the best damn car out there! anyways, i wanted to ask to see if it was possible, or if anyone thought it was even a good idea to put a turbo on it, i know mazda sells one for the miata, but up here in canada they dont have one for the 3...so if i wanted to out one in id have to put on an after market, and that voids my warrenty, so id have to wait untill that has expired...
is it a good idea?
where can i get a good kit?
any other info in it

thanks!

Old 04-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Default RE: turbo?

only one currently selling and shipping ready to go is HiBoost.com . stock system runs 7-8psi and puts down about 240whp on the mtx. he's got a high boost kit that he's running just over 500hp on currently as well on a build bottom end. i've had the kit on my Mazda6 for almost a year now.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:56 PM

and? any problems with that badboy?

Old 04-21-2006, 02:37 AM

depends what you mean by problems....

i do a lot of product testing on my car and some stuff doesn't go with the setup. i was looking for more boost, as well as making sure it could hold up to 4 hours of Road Racing....so i just dropped in a build bottom end from a Focus. but no problems with the stock kit at all, i was just looking to see if i can squeeze 350whp out of my lil automatic.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:28 AM

don't you have to do alot of suspension mods as well?

Old 04-21-2006, 06:27 PM

for a turbo? has nothing to do with suspension. if you want to romp on the thing and enjoy it turning (even without a turbo) you should be doing suspension upgrades, but that is irrelivent of the turbo upgrade.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:28 AM

hello again..thanks for the idea...just wondering what you mean by a "build bottom"...may be a a dumb question
thanks again

Old 04-22-2006, 03:36 AM

the race team that has my car builds focus' for different race series. so it was cheaper for me to use one of his already "build" bottom end than to take mine apart and put in the stuff i wanted. the main upgrades if you want to bump up boost are rods and lower compression pistons. HiBoost sells this setup as well for like 1350 or 1450....he's pushing 508hp on his Mazda3 right now, running 11's in the 1/4.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: MrTea

depends what you mean by problems....

i do a lot of product testing on my car and some stuff doesn't go with the setup. i was looking for more boost, as well as making sure it could hold up to 4 hours of Road Racing....so i just dropped in a build bottom end from a Focus. but no problems with the stock kit at all, i was just looking to see if i can squeeze 350whp out of my lil automatic.
Since your car is ATX and you have a turbo in it, i thought that a turbo in a auto would mess up your tranny...or something like that, is that entirely true?

Old 04-22-2006, 05:26 PM

not necessarily... if you leave the turbo untuned, then problems can occur. but if properly tuned, your car can run fine if set within certain safety ranges so your car won't blow up. transmission kits will help the car shift better/faster which will allow for the turbo to get its full effect on the performance aspect of making a vehicle quicker.

Quick Reply: turbo?