Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Traded 2011 for 2017

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 01:42 PM
SHM
Default Traded 2011 for 2017

Hi all...Haven't been here for quite some time. I had a 2011 2.0L 5spd sedan. After 6+ years of very faithful service, I decided to get a more utility friendly 2017 (new, year end special). It's the Touring 2.5L with 6 spd manual with no other options. A terrific value.

I just did a tire upgrade and am trying out the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s for summer tires. HUGE improvement over the OEM Dunlap 5000Ms. I have Michelin Ice on steels for the winter.

I was wondering if there were any recommendations. I did buy a can of CRC Valve Carbon cleaner because of the DFI. I plan on doing that when I hit 10Kmiles.

This is a terrific car that feels 2x it's price. With the new tires, this thing sticks to the road like glue. In fact, I find the G-force vectoring to be somewhat intrusive at times. Probably because of all the traction I have now.

My main gripes: No remote rear hatch release in either the cabin or on the key FOB. And the tach is pathetic. What where they thinking? Give the automatic a nice, big central tach whilst giving the manual a crappy LCD corner tach? The older gage arrangement was MUCH better. IMO, they should've let well enough alone.

Otherwise, that's it. This car is quick, comfortable, efficient and torquey. Amazing what the extra 40 bhp and 53 lb-ft will do...And the steering is laser precise. I think it's even more so than in a Audi or VW Golf GTI. Amazing for a non Euro car.

Anyway, if there are any recommendations anyone can make to make the car even better, I'd appreciate the suggestions. I was thinking of getting a K&N air filter, but, I understand without a ECU flash, it'd be a waste of $.

Thank 🍻

Old 05-22-2018, 01:55 PM

A few comments:
  • The Carbon cleaner is a waste of money; it will not clean anything on your engine which needs cleaning.
  • Hmmm, it seems to me our 2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door has a remote hatch release within reach of the driver's seat; I don't remember for sure. I'll check tonight.
  • Don't bother with the K&N, it will do nothing for performance (even with a tune), but it WILL let a lot more dirt into your engine.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:57 AM
SHM

I've heard the carbon on intake valves is more of a issue with forced induction engines. You're probably right about the CRC not doing much. But, if I do it early enough, it might be effective at prolonging head removal and walnut shell cleaning...dunno...

I do use a K&N in my sports car. It's pretty effective in the GM cars as their ECMS do allow for a small amount of variation in air flow. I've used them in the past and didn't have any MAF or extra dirt intake issues. And port injection is a lot more forgiving, I think than DFI as the valves get washed by gasoline....

Old 05-23-2018, 09:10 AM

Regarding the deposits in the intake valves due to direct injection (not forced induction) engines; there really isn't anything you can do to remediate the deposits short of the walnut shell cleaning.

I submit if you use a factory air filter on your "sports car", run it for a full oil change cycle and have the oil analyzed, then use a K&N filter and repeat the oil change cycle with oil analysis, you will see a huge increase in the amount of silicone (sand) in the oil.

Lots of folks like to argue the above point, but the fact is, K&N filters are crap filters.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:54 AM

I understand your frustration. I have the 2015 3 2.5 Touring and mine did not come with automatic headlights. I believe for 2016 they put them on all models! Who knows next year they may include it in an option package only available on the Signature level. They seem to be constantly changing what is included in what level.

I also bought Michelin Winter tires. I think they are X-Ice XI3. I kept the standard tires with the plan to replace them with summer tires when they wore out. The problem is they don't seem to be wearing out. I have 67,000 miles on it and the tires look fairly new. (Probably around 50,000 miles on the original tires.)

I did just upgrade the front brake rotors to slotted and drilled rotors with performance pads. But this was to address a problem with the pads my mechanic put on that grabbed like I had warped rotors.

I was excited to see your initial post. I have no suggestions but was looking forward to seeing what others had to recommend.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:31 PM
SHM

I'm planning on getting a oil sample test done on the 'sports car' on this next oil change. I've done 2 samples already, so any increase in silicone will stand out like a sore thumb. If there is a increase, I'll have to see about maybe going back to the OEM Donaldson ProCharger filter the car originally came with.

Imo..I think it's nearly impossible these days to 'upgrade' a car much. The engineering is now so tight. I would've preferred a set of Michelin Pilot Sport tires (I had the MPS A/S on the 2011 car and they were terrific) but, I didn't want to pay $170+ for a all season tire as I have the Ice's. So heard lots of great things about the Firestone FH Indy 500s and got them for only $460 installed at the local Firestone dealer. So far, they're fantastic. The 184bhp can barely break these tires free. And hydroplane resistance is right up there with the Michelins. I admit, these are pretty extreme for a light duty 'runabout' type of car. But, the extra margin of safety, plus the fun the provide being able to go wide open throttle in low gear is amazing. Like they're glued to the road.

If I were I were part of the project planning team, I'd develop a performance package consisting of: battery in the right side in the trunk, aluminum control arms, a V6 engine (I don't like turbocharging, but, fear the V6 might be impractical now), summer tires with winter tire option package (ala Focus RS), light weight aluminum centered brake rotors (for less unsprung wheel weight) and suspension tweaks to maximize handling with these new components. Make it a package for about a extra $4K or so. Just a idea...because this car is so good...why not take it to the next level? I know someone is going to lament about the passing of the Mazdaspeed3...lol...Guess I'm just a hot rodder at ❤️