Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

TPS light

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:01 AM
Default TPS light

My TPS light went off last month. i didnt fill up my tires because i was getting new rims in a few weeks anyway. i swapped out the rims but its hasnt gone off. it doesnt blink or anything. just stays lit constantly. i dont want to bring it to my mazda dealership because i dont have any money and i dont trust them. so is there anyway to reset it? or is the tps in each of the stock rims? if so how do they communicate to the car that their is a problem?

thanx in adavnce

Old 12-30-2007, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: TPS light

I myself do not have the TPM system, but doesn't it require sensors in the tire, or on the wheel in order to work properly? Do the new wheels have the sensors installed correctly on/in them?
Also, are you now running Run-Flat tires? I believe that too has an effect on the function of that system.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:02 AM

Stupid Question, but did they put the sensors in the other rims?

Old 12-30-2007, 02:46 PM

i think the stock (new) tires come with senseors in al lthe tires. if u go to tirerack.com you have the option of choosing wheels with TPM with some of the wheels.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Iknow of some that come as an after-though or option.Since so many cars now come std w/them that they will become more readily available on the AM on wheels and tires.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:55 PM

It probably came on before new rims due to low tire pressure. If it was in cold weather, your tire pressure is lower until it builds up heat. As far as the aftermarket rims go, you need toask if the installed your sensors. If they did and you havegood tire pressure all the way around, then they may have damaged them or one or more is broken. Ask the tire place about the install first and go from there.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:08 AM

thanks for the feedback. i guess they dont have the sensor in them, (didnt buy the rims). is there anyway to turn it off or am i gonna have to live with it?

Old 12-31-2007, 01:10 PM

Take the dash apart and remove the bulb
And yes there is a sensor in each of the stock wheels and it transmits Tire Pressure to the car.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

I hope I am not misunderstanding you... If the tires were installed on the new wheels by a shop of your choice, why not ask them about it? Ibelieve (but don't really know) that the sensors can be moved from wheel to wheel. And I know I've seen AM sensors available, but since I don't have the system (and don't want it) I wasn't all that interested.
Perhaps the TireRack.com (typo oops!) could help? They have an 800 number and are usually very helpful.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Yesterday we bought a used 08 Tribute with the TPMS. Yesterday the indicator light was not illuminated but today about 3/4 of the way through an 11 mile trip it began to flash then went solid. Tonight we checked the tires, released 10 pounds of air in 3 tires that were over inflated and added 9 pounds to an underinflated tire. Ran it for well over 2 minutes (per manual instructions) and it's still on. Any clues? I must add that the underinflated tire was only about 3 pounds low when I first checked it this morning. The others remained the same (42!!!). The suggested inflation is 32 PSI. Thanks for any help. These are new to us.

Quick Reply: TPS light