Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

torque steer

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Default torque steer

I was driving in my MS3 today and once again became the victim of some vicious torque steer and I thought, "I wonder why Mazda didn't put paddle shifters on the MS3". That would make it so much easier to control it if I was able to have both hands on the wheel when I drop into 3rd and punch it.Does MAzda make a car with paddle shifters?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: torque steer

Not yet.
My suspicion is that they (Mazda) are a small company w/only limited support from Ford (who as you may remember laid off something like 30,000 employeesin '07,)and hasn't yet developed a DSG.
I thinktheir money right now isgoinginto current models and racing.
Just my thoughts on the subject, and they might be totally out-to-lunch. I can only speculate.

SST! Got anything to add here... or tell me I'm full 'o' crap?? (I can take it.)

Old 03-27-2008, 07:09 PM

considering that the new speed models have a getrag now, the paddle shifters shouldn't be far behind. the only problem is that the paddle shifters come with an auto, not manual.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

No, actually they are putting them in double-clutch platedmanuals (electronically/computer controlled... of course) that are driven like autos, a.k.a. Forumla1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

Old 03-27-2008, 07:40 PM

I don't think the price-point & production volumesof the Speed3 justified developing paddle shifters, there's no money in it. If you don't make a profit doing something, you shouldn't do it.

I've seen very few shiftable autos that actually work. None have been on anything even remotely affordable.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Darth Mazda

I was driving in my MS3 today and once again became the victim of some vicious torque steer and I thought, "I wonder why Mazda didn't put paddle shifters on the MS3". That would make it so much easier to control it if I was able to have both hands on the wheel when I drop into 3rd and punch it.Does MAzda make a car with paddle shifters?
The 2008 RX-8 with the 6-speed Sport AT Automatic transmission is equipped with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. I'm not sure if this was available in previous model years though.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11245/18401AF149B74B52996A0E22D86DB586.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-27-2008, 09:53 PM

Although helpful I think paddle shifters would take a lot of the fun of driving a manual away. You may just have to do a few more curls. In the eternal words of Macho Man Randy Savage... Be a man Hogan!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: ohiogrown

Although helpful I think paddle shifters would take a lot of the fun of driving a manual away. You may just have to do a few more curls. In the eternal words of Macho Man Randy Savage... Be a man Hogan!
I completely agree. The joyof complete driver involvement with manual shifting is incomparable!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: ohiogrown

"Be a Hogan"...words to live by.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:58 PM

I have a 2008 Speed3 that I love except for a few "small" issues, one of them being the torque steer. Love the power, but not the occasional wake up call

Quick Reply: torque steer