Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Thoughts and Plans for my new used '09

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Default Thoughts and Plans for my new used '09

So I just purchased a 2009 3i, haven't driven it much besides from where I got it to home, which is about 60 miles. I have a few thoughts and some plans I would like to throw out and get any comments or tips from the forum.

It definitely has more response in 1st and 3rd gear compared to my 2005 Elantra. 2nd gear is a bit... sluggish/slow?
Corners are a lot tighter and funner
Steering is so much more crisp
I know it's 4 years newer than my Elantra, but the internals feel like a spaceship comparatively... I love it
Available space is a bit smaller, but that's ok - we'll take the Mountaineer out if roominess is a concern
The sound in this (assuming it's a 3i touring value with the specs it has) is awesome for stock stereo/speakers!
Right rear tire has some feathering on the inside somethin fierce... I don't think they rotated their tires hardly ever... Fronts are directional, rears are not.
The color is amazing even though my 5 year old has already managed to put a white racing stripe around the whole thing with her bicycle handlebars...

I had switched out the dash lights in my previous car and absolutely plan on doing the same with this. I am highly skilled with a soldering iron and don't fear the circuit boards at all.
I am most likely going to swap the tires on the rear wheels to add some longevity to them... but I'll hold off on the camber linkage for now.
Depending on how the tires handle this winter, I'll most likely be getting some new ones in the spring.

That's all I have planned so far - I'm excited to begin bonding with this car!

Old 11-02-2017, 10:16 AM

Back when I was regularly driving my 2009 Mazda3 i TVE, a virtual clone of yours, my wife , son, and I would routinely comment on how responsive the steering wheel feedback was compared to my wife's GTI. My son took the Mazda3 to college with him in the summer of 2012, and when I flew out to visit him prior to selling the car and him going into the Navy, I once again was surprised at how crisp the steering was on the Mazda. I'm thinking the steering response from my various cars ranks as follows (the best first):
  1. 1979 VW Scirocco (non-power assisted steering)
  2. 2002 BMW 530i Sport Package (conventional hydraulic power assisted steering)
  3. 2009 Mazda3 i TVE (hybrid electric/hydraulic power assisted steering)
  4. 2006 Acura TL 6MT (conventional hydraulic power assisted steering)
  5. 1996 Mazda Miata "M" Edition (conventional hydraulic power assisted steering)
  6. 2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door (electric power assisted steering)
  7. 2012 VW GTI (electric power assisted steering)

Old 11-02-2017, 10:25 AM

Yes - I am well impressed with the steering. I was super excited to finally get to drive it to work this morning. Super responsive. The steering requires just enough strength that you really are telling it where to go - it's easy to move, but it doesn't get thrown around by breathing on it or from regular bumps in the road.

I did notice this time that there is a lot of cabin noise (engine vibrations) so I think I'm going to get some new motor/trans mounts... pretty sure that will fix that problem.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dethlore
Yes - I am well impressed with the steering. I was super excited to finally get to drive it to work this morning. Super responsive. The steering requires just enough strength that you really are telling it where to go - it's easy to move, but it doesn't get thrown around by breathing on it or from regular bumps in the road.

I did notice this time that there is a lot of cabin noise (engine vibrations) so I think I'm going to get some new motor/trans mounts... pretty sure that will fix that problem.
Yeah, the Gen 1 Mazda3 was never a quiet ride. I did find when I mounted some Pirelli Cinturato P7s the cabin noise dropped significantly. I also remember back in the 2008-2009 time frame there were a lot of threads about adding sound deadening to the car.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:45 AM

Do you think the engine mounts would be a waste then (unless the existing ones really are bad of course)

Old 11-02-2017, 12:51 PM

Engine mounts, or at least one engine mount, is probably not a waste of time; if I recall correctly, there was one mount on the Gen 1 models which was prone to failure, I just don't remember which one. Regardless, the mounts will not change the cabin noise in the car.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:01 PM

ahh well... I guess like anything I guess - I'll do my inspections and replace anything that's worn out. I haven't looked into sound dampening threads yet, but I'll get there.

Thanks!