Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Thinking about modding my 3....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Default Thinking about modding my 3....

Hey guys, just got an 08 3 sedan, sunlight silver.

I'm thinking about lowering my car and tinting the windows to whatever the laws in California allow. I'm pretty noob at this stuff so can somebody let me know some of the benefits and disadvantages of doing this to my car?

Also any precautions/warning/prices?

Perhaps some rims also...

Thanks!

Last edited by spiritd; 03-01-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 PM

I do believe California law is pretty strict on the Tint.
Here is mine with a Mazdaspeed Lowering kit
Before
Name:  MZ3Tinted001.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  262.5 KB

After
Name:  The3002.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  76.6 KB

Old 03-01-2009, 11:48 PM

Siber, how much was that supposed to lower it? It doesn't look like much and maybe nothing in the rear (from those pictures).

Old 03-02-2009, 12:21 AM
VB

It looks like maybe 1" in the front and ~.8" in the rear.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Cali is very strict on everything these days. You might try getting on the Cali DOT website, do some research (it can take some time so be patient) and find out what they can't get you for, then go from there....
Lowering should not be a problem. I know lots of people from Cali that have done that.
Eibach is generally considered the standard, but there are many others as well. Just avoid the off-brand stuff (like no-name from eBay sellers) and you should be all right.
You local tint shop should know what's legal and what's not, but I would go to a couple-three and see if their information all matches.
Precautions: When changing wheels be aware that the OE off-set is +52.5mm. Stay as close to that as possible. Also, the bigger the wheel, the worse the ride will be.
I wouldn't go too low with springs either. Too low and you will scrape over speed bumps and on up hill slopes, such as some driveways. Plus, again your ride quality will suffer. 1"-1.3" overall seems best for the street.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 AM

Sitting on level ground, 1.5 in the front and 1 in the back, I attached a pic on level ground from before I lowered it, where it sitting in my driveway the left front is in a hole hence compressing the rear.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about modding my 3....-08-mazda-3-001.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 09:07 AM

Thanks for all your info guys. About rims, I have the alloy rims from Mazda and I actually like them so I'll hold off as I'm a poor teenager. As far as lowering the car goes, I was thinking of using springs isntead of coilovers as my cousin told me the difference in costs (he's huge on car modding). Also he goes to this shop often for tints and said my Mazda3 all windows (except windshield) would probably be around $120-$160 as the quarter windows are a pain.

What do you guys think of this?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:55 PM

Mine was lowered with Springs http://www.mazdaparts.org/ma3spsp.html
As for the Tint, mine was $160 and $20 for the brow, but he came to the house and did it also.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

OUCH!!! $422.50??
You can do better than that Ben, but you'll have to go to the aftermarket (AM) for that. Like I said, and even though I have the H&R's, Eibachs are a good overall choice. I bought the H&R's from a guy (not a commercial seller) on eBay "slightly used" for $75 a couple of years ago. It fit my rather weak modding budget, and they are a known brand so I went with them.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:39 PM

Hmmm ok thanks for the info. How do these springs look? http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...140&perfCode=S

Do you guys know around how much isntallation of springs usually costs? Will I be voiding my warranty? Think I'll hit driveways & speedbumps with those?

Quick Reply: Thinking about modding my 3....