Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Default synthetic oil

Does anyone use synthetic oil in their mazda 3 (2.3 liter)? I am due for my first oil change and wanted to know if I would be causing any problems by going to a synthetic. I hear you see a couple mpg improvement with the change and want to try it.

Thanks for any help, Woody

Old 07-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Default RE: synthetic oil

Shouldn't cause any problems at all. You don't want to switch back and forth though. If you go synthetic, stay synthetic. (FYI...synthetic oil isn't recommended during the break-in period of an engine, you're past that so that doesn't matter.)

Old 07-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

I've been running synthetic since my first change. I don't think I've gotten any better mpg out of it, but I just feel like the synthetic is better on the longevity of the engine.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:31 AM

My 1.8t Passat developed engine sludge after only 50k. Yes, I followed the maintenance schedule. Major repairs were done such as total disassembly of the engine, not to mention replacing the oil pump and valves. Luckily, I bought the extended warranty so I only paid fifty bucks or so. The mechanic told me to always use synthetic oil in turbos. Nowdays, VW does use synthetic on they're turbos. In fact, most Euro cars use synthetic. Just my two-cents worth...

Mazda newbie
Waiting for my MS3 to arrive (mid Oct)

Old 01-19-2007, 10:03 PM

Just looking at some old posts for info on oil consumption. Found this comment about the Passat 1.8t getting all clogged up. I heard about a year ago that the 1.8t VW/Audi/whoever else engine is famous for failures due to bad oiling, bigtime.
I have a friend with a 2001 Passat that makes a huge noise for about a second on start up. I told him what caused that, but he was dumb enough to (want to) believe the dealer'sBS about the heat shield rattling. Oh well, he'll find out the hard way when it leaves him stranded on I-95.

In my experience, synthetic stayed clean much longer and reduced comsumption by around 50%. I've driven 2 carsto 250,000 miles on 10k mile change intervals using synthetic.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:20 AM

AMSOIL IS THE BEST

Old 01-20-2007, 11:11 AM

I'm not do for an oil change yet in my MS3-and she's off road till april anyways...but I plan to run synthetic in her. I ran mobile 1 in my 2004 Mazda3. You can not run synthetic in the RX8.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:13 PM

i use only synthetic
and only Mobil1 5W-30[8D]
i change it every 7500miles.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:08 AM

I use Royal Purple and change it about every 3500 miles.

For the comment above about there 1.8T passat, I am a VW technician and there is a major oil sludging problem with those cars. You can take great care of those cars and it will still happen, that is why I didnt buy one. After working with a company for a while all you see is everything that goes bad and it makes you not wanna get one.

Double D

Old 02-15-2007, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: 04maz6

For the comment above about there 1.8T passat, I am a VW technician and there is a major oil sludging problem with those cars. You can take great care of those cars and it will still happen, that is why I didnt buy one. After working with a company for a while all you see is everything that goes bad and it makes you not wanna get one
Thanks for verifying that, but I don't have the heart to tell him. Maybe if he mentions selling or trading it, I can recommend a 3 to him.

About oil -- My MS3 has over 10k miles now. Seems the oil consumption has slowed a bit to around 2500 or 3000 miles a quart of synthetic. Crappy compared to the Ford SVT it replaced, but better than it did at first. It stays clean looking longer now too.

VASpeed3

Quick Reply: synthetic oil