Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Swapping climate controls?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Default Swapping climate controls?

Quick question for anyone who may know - I have the manual climate controls in my '06 3S 5dr. I have an opportunity to pick up an auto climate control assembly for dirt cheap from a parted out 3 of the same year. Can they be swapped out and work normally, anyone know? Has anyone done it?

Dealerships clueless and only reads the options manuals with no idea, plus it takes almost 2 weeks to get a response from Mazda reps....thinking I might get a quicker answer here possibly? Thanks!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Swapping climate controls?

Ooooooo!!! Copper Red Mica!! Niccceeee......
Auto, or stick?

As far as your question... I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. I don't know anyone (or of anyone) that has tried this mod, but theremust be more to it than just a different control panel. W/all the electronics that seem to control EVERYTHING in these new cars, I would think that the/an ECU or at least a chip would have something more to do with it.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:30 PM

Thanks! Unfortunately, an auto - not stick. Though I run around using the shiftronic anyways seldom using the auto. Only real complaint I have with it is the downshifting in auto. It totally skips 2nd, and you need to virtualy come to a complete stop before it drops from 3rd to first. This becomes quite annoying when making a sudden acceleration from coasting out of a stop sign or green light, etc.....someday - more torque, faster response will be in order!

I kinda figured initially there would be some wiring issues, but if it didn't really take any serious electrical or ECU mods, I might grab the part and try it. I know the Nav systems out. That has to be factory installed from what I hear, and cannot be added after it leaves the factory. Someone else mentioned the Bose system as well? Not sure on that one though. But I never heard anything about the auto climate control. Seemed more like no one has ever looked into it than whether or not if it's do-able.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:14 PM

that sounds like a neat project. will you be performing the install yourself?

Old 01-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah. Keep us informed. It would be interesting and good knowledge to know if this would work.

BTW: I know someone in our local club that has the exact same car as yours. He's the lil' guy (Asian) that is on the left in the picture.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:07 PM

I will probably install myself, assuming there isn't anything major to deal with. If it's gonna require some major or costly changes I won't even bother with it. Still waiting on some tech info from Mazda. If it looks do-able, I will definately pass on all the info here. I may pick it up anyways and see. If it doesn't work out, I can always sell it on ebay or something.

Some sweet lookin' rides you guys have! Looks almost like the Copper Red has the Silverstars??? I only mention that 'cause I installed them as well. Gives the corner bulbs a nice blueish-irredescent glare in the daylight. Where's your local club from? That bridge in the backdrop reminds me of some they have around the Pittsburgh, PA area.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, he does... so do I, though not in this pic. This was almost a year ago, Feb 11, 2007 in Austin TX.A cool, but not really cold day.It's called the 360 bridge, cause it's on... you guessed it, Hwy 360, a.k.a. Capitol of Texas Hwy!!
Though Thomas (the CRM)is a regular member he hadn't shown up yet because of family obligations, but here's a panoramic I took called Cars 'n' Drivers. It was a long, all day meet so some came late, like Thomas, while others had to leave early for work or some-such. All in all, about 20 cars showed up that day. I was happy to be up there with all the colorful Proto5 and MSP's rather than w/all that gray and black.... It was a good meet.