Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Stock exhaust, replacing just muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Default Stock exhaust, replacing just muffler?

Anyone replace just the muffler and leave the rest on the stock exhaust on? I don't want the exhaust note any louder if I can help it, no bumle bee sound for me at 47. I thought about just replacing themuffler with a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, proven to flow well but not loud. I'm going from my experience on V8 trucks. I've had a Dynomax Super Turbo on my last three trucks (two Silverados and my present Hemi Ram). They sound good but are barely louder than stock with no interior drone. I wonder if the same would be true for a I4 engine? Also keeping the stock resonator would help keep it quiet inside the car as well. Any feedback on just a muffler change out?
Jim

Old 05-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Default RE: Stock exhaust, replacing just muffler?

you could probably just an axleback system.
since the muffler on the 3's are a ways back, that would probably be your best bet....
im actually going to be doing a full catback exhaust on my 3 pretty soon.
im doing an HKS setup, and it fairly quiet until you get the revs higher... and it has a deeper tone to it too....

Old 05-18-2007, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the reply! I don't want to do a full cat-back, I'm sure there aren't any made that would be quiet enough for me. As I said, I'm 47 and my days of loud anything are over. I do still like performance and power though so if changing out the muffler would gain me 1-3 HP, I'll do it if I can keep the stock or very close to stock sound. I was also thinking about dropping a K&N filter (see other post of mine) in the stock airbox to see if I could gain another 1-3 HP. It'll all help.
Jim

Old 05-18-2007, 10:51 PM

the exhaust will sound a little funny with no intake.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:04 PM

ORIGINAL: wsoape281

the exhaust will sound a little funny with no intake.
Funny how? I haven't had a 4 cylinder engine inalong time, I'm a V8 truck guy.
Jim

Old 05-19-2007, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I just turned 50 and I installed the Vibrant exhaust on mine. It's certainly louder than stock, but not obnoxious in any way. No droning orbuzziness,and a nice little burble. Passengers can still exchange conversation w/o shouting. But get on it and you know it's there. It's one of the lowest toned AM exhausts (I think the other is the Borla) and to my ears truly makes the car sound like "half a V8."
I also have the K&N drop in, but in a modified airbox too. I can't say that I noticed any power increase w/it, but add the exhaust and there seemed to be a nice difference. I've taken on V6 Mustangs and left them wondering what I had under the hood.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I just turned 50 and I installed the Vibrant exhaust on mine. It's certainly louder than stock, but not obnoxious in any way. No droning orbuzziness,and a nice little burble. Passengers can still exchange conversation w/o shouting. But get on it and you know it's there. It's one of the lowest toned AM exhausts (I think the other is the Borla) and to my ears truly makes the car sound like "half a V8."
I also have the K&N drop in, but in a modified airbox too. I can't say that I noticed any power increase w/it, but add the exhaust and there seemed to be a nice difference. I've taken on V6 Mustangs and left them wondering what I had under the hood.

Thanks for the reply!
Jim

Old 05-19-2007, 01:36 PM

it's all about feeding the engine for the exhaust. that is the thing that most people overlook on cars that are lightly modded. if you open it up on the back end, you need to open it up on the front end, even if it is just a little more than stock.the stock airbox is very restrictive.

and before you ask, even just an exhaust tip will open up the exhaust system enough to make a difference. look at the old muffler and the new exhaust tip. much different flow

Old 05-19-2007, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: wsoape281

it's all about feeding the engine for the exhaust. that is the thing that most people overlook on cars that are lightly modded. if you open it up on the back end, you need to open it up on the front end, even if it is just a little more than stock.the stock airbox is very restrictive.

and before you ask, even just an exhaust tip will open up the exhaust system enough to make a difference. look at the old muffler and the new exhaust tip. much different flow
Look at the old muffler? I wish I could look at the exhaust system period. The car is to low for me to get under or I'm to big at 6'3" & 230 lbs... I'll be the first to admit I'm not up on the new technology and especially 4 bangers. However an engine is still an engine which is basically an air pump. More air in and more air out is good as long as it's not to much of both or just one. I figure a little more air in with a K&N filter in the stock airbox would be good. Add just a free flowing muffler to get a little more air out will also be good. I'm not trying to get alot more performance, just trying to let the engine work a little easier as it moves air in and out. I'm also going to add a tip, I don't like the rolled end pencil tip that came stock. I want about a 3.5" to 4" angle cut tip to fill in the bumper notch a little more. Something like this would be good.
Jim
http://i11.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/9e/7d/1b34_2.JPG

Old 05-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...g1-Vibrant.flv

Quick Reply: Stock exhaust, replacing just muffler?