Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Sirius Satelitte Ready if you pay $700!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Angry Sirius Satelitte Ready if you pay $700!

So I got my Mazda3 2008 thinking it was going to be easy to get my Sirius. I have found out it is not easy. What have you guys done? My options I think are

1) Pay Mazda the $700
2) Buy the module online and install it myself
3)Go to Best Buy and see if the tuner I had for my previos cars after market radio would work with the Mazda Radio
4)get a plug and play unit like a sportster or starmate

Old 09-30-2009, 05:40 PM

Get a Sirius tuner, I have a starmate and it works just fine. I'm going to wait until I find a cheap Sirius brain unit then I'll go that route

Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM

Did you have to purchase an aftermartket radio for the car? Where does the Starmate plug into?

Old 09-30-2009, 08:00 PM

I ran the Starmate through the Audio plug in the Center console, I still went and got the receiver and installed in in the car. I paid around $240 all together for the receiver and the install kit from an online Mazda Dealer, it can also handle an Ipod if you so desire (on the 08.5 anyways) and did the install myself, not much to it and I did run the antenna wire all the way through and out the hatch on mine also.
With the Starmate you will need an inline filter or you will get engine whine, and the sound coming out of the integrated Sirius box puts the Starmate to shame for Clarity.
On the 08 the receiver mounts on top of the rear right side inner fender and the 08.5 it mounts under the dash.
Also if you have a 2008.5 it is a different receiver than the 08.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM

BTW, the only integrated module for the Mazda radio is through Mazda, there is not an Aftermarket for it.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:29 PM

so my best bet is to save $$ and get the sirius mazda part possibly discounted here online. then try to install it myself. i will probably with installation and parts pay close to $300 for a starmate/the fm adapter/installation. i might as well pay the same fo the mazda part and try to install it myself

Old 09-30-2009, 09:14 PM

Yeah you will probably be happier with the factory unit and integration. I added a factory Sirius unit to my BMW a few years ago and it was not difficult. The unit plugged directly into a pigtail on a wiring harness in the trunk, I didn't have to touch the radio head unit at all. The hardest part was running the antenna wire. I'm sure there are detailed instructions for the Mazda install here somewhere.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 PM

You will need to pull the HU on the MZ3, it is not hard though.
Is you car a HB or a Sedan? Either way it is about a 4 hour job to do the install. Get a Bottle of touch up paint before you do it also, you will need to make a little notch for the antennae wire and you will want to paint it so you don't get any rust around the notch (I think they said to use a file, I used a Sawzall, much faster LOL)

They have both units here http://www.mazdaparts.org/ for under $300, and it should still come with 6 months free also.

Last edited by Siber Express; 09-30-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:07 PM

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 Sedan. So then I also have to install something in the trunk?

Old 10-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Akkadian26x
I have a 2008 Mazda 3 Sedan. So then I also have to install something in the trunk?
Mazda's install instructions put the receiver behind the passenger side paneling in the trunk. Technically you can put it wherever you want to. Some people have even installed it in the glove box.

Quick Reply: Sirius Satelitte Ready if you pay $700!