Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Side Mirror Replacement guide

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Default Side Mirror Replacement guide

So, today I go to my Mazda 3 2007 GS to find my driver side mirror dangling by the electrical wires. I'm wondering how easy (or hard) it is to change this mirror yourself? Has anyone here done it? If so, is there a guide online with instructions? (I've looked for something, but can't find anything). If anyone has done this before, please let me know.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Do you just need to replace the glass, or the entire housing? Either way should be pretty easy. Assuming you have power mirrors then I think you'll find my heated mirror walkthrough shows how to take the mirror off and replace it pretty well.

Enjoy, and let me know if you still need some help.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...616#msg2088616

EDIT: Since you mentioned electrical wires it seems pretty likely you have power mirrors. :P

Old 04-15-2010, 09:52 PM

Perfect! Thanks so much! Yes, the entire housing. It snapped as the base where the wire passes through it. I think some drunk a**hole kick it as there isn't any damage that would suggest a car hit it. I don't have heated ones, but they are power. It looks like I just need to pop off the interior panel, undo the bolts and attach the new housing. Correct?

Also, you wouldn't happen to know where I can buy a replacement mirror from or at least how to get the model number?

Old 04-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Gotcha. Gotta hate drunk vandals.

Replacing the housing is super easy. Like you said, pop the panel, unplug, remove the bolts, swap housings and reverse to install. Easily a less than 5 minute install.

I'm not sure on the part number.... The side mirror housing was the same for the 3 from '04-'09 both hatch and sedan, with the exception in difference between manual and power glass. You should be able to contact any Mazda dealer to get the p/n and price. You could also contact Jason at onlinemazdaparts.com (mazdapart@gmail.com) or another online dealer like mazdastuff.com. I'm assuming you're in Canada, but the p/n's should be the same for all of North America. The only difference would be the color of the front cover, and if your current one is still intact then you could order whatever color you'd like and swap them out.

As to heated mirrors if you're interested in them this would be the time to do them since you have the replace the housing anyway and heated isn't that much more. An OEM heated housing costs about $100. I think the non-heated is about $75. You could also go for an aftermarket housing if you'd like. HERE's a site that sells some....... $64 without heaters, $90 with. Sad, they used to have the heated housings for $60. Anyway if you did that you could still get just a heated glass portion for the passenger side and retrofit that one.... save you ~$50.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 PM

Awesome, thanks so much for your help icspots. You've been a massive help. I'll look in to the heated mirror, but frost is not too much of an issue here in Vancouver. Though I would love to have self dimmers

Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 PM

I just took out the glass on the busted mirror, following your instructions (great detail btw), and notice two wires attached the mirror....I'd assume this means it is heated...I don't remember that feature when I bought it. haha. But I guess it's all automatic so I've forgotten about over the past 3 years.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fall3n
I just took out the glass on the busted mirror, following your instructions (great detail btw), and notice two wires attached the mirror....I'd assume this means it is heated...I don't remember that feature when I bought it. haha. But I guess it's all automatic so I've forgotten about over the past 3 years.
Thanks, glad I could help. If there are two wires plugged into the back of the glass then you do have heated glass. They come on whenever the rear defroster turns on. I actually get a lot more use out of them during rain or when they're foggy vs. actual frost. The down side of the OEM heated glass is that they're only heated around the edge and not in the center like some of the aftermarket ones are.