Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Should I care about the dealership???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Default Should I care about the dealership???

Looking at getting the Mazda 3. Should I just go to the dealership that offers the best price and who has the car in stock? There are several Mazda dealerships around town and some of them have been getting bad reviews. However, they are the ones that have the car that I'm looking for in stock. If they offer a decent price should I get the car from them even if other dealerships have a better reputation. I probably won't take the car to them for service but for sales does it really matter where I get it from? Thanks.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Default RE: Should I care about the dealership???

Don't make the mistake that most car buyers do:

When you go into the dealership have a price set in mind that you want to pay and stick with it. Do not let them talk you into a higher price.

When I went to the dealership they had previously told me i would pay a certain payment, when I went to sign on the dotted line, they had jacked the amount up $100. After being up for 26 hrs straight that day I was already aggrivated, but talked them down to about $10 more than the original agreement, but it still pissed me off.

And if all else fails, CARFAX!!!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: apbbnbanb_07

Don't make the mistake that most car buyers do:

When you go into the dealership have a price set in mind that you want to pay and stick with it. Do not let them talk you into a higher price.

When I went to the dealership they had previously told me i would pay a certain payment, when I went to sign on the dotted line, they had jacked the amount up $100. After being up for 26 hrs straight that day I was already aggrivated, but talked them down to about $10 more than the original agreement, but it still pissed me off.

And if all else fails, CARFAX!!!
Thanks for the advice. I have a price set in mind so I hope the dealership will respect that.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:03 PM

Let me give you an example of "sticking to your guns."
When I purchased my 2006 last May, it had a sticker price of $21.300.00
Far above whatother dealers were getting at the time for a 2006 GT.
I had exactly$15,000.00 in cash to spend for a vehicle.
After driving it, I told the salesman what I was prepared to spend, and he said he couldn't let it go that cheap.
I said ok, I will look somewhere else.
I told him I WOULD find one somewhere, and left my phone number with him.
I would not budge one inch from the amount I wanted to spend.
The following day the salesman called to tell me the dealership agreed with my price.
I have no way of knowing what amount they offered the previous owner on a trade in, but obviously it was way below the price quoted on the sticker.
When I left the dealership with my 3, I felt it was a good deal for both of us.
In California, dealers are required by law to completely go through a vehicle that is taken in on trade, and repair or replace anything that does not meet specs.
I don't know if they had to replace anything other than the tires.
They did put new tires on it between the time I test drove it, and the time I bought it.
All in all, I stuck to my guns, and prevailed.
Stick to what you feel comfortable paying, and don't waver.
Set the price, and don't sign anything unless you are conffident you are getting the best deal.
Bob.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Bob Hubbard

Let me give you an example of "sticking to your guns."
When I purchased my 2006 last May, it had a sticker price of $21.300.00
Far above what other dealers were getting at the time for a 2006 GT.
I had exactly $15,000.00 in cash to spend for a vehicle.
After driving it, I told the salesman what I was prepared to spend, and he said he couldn't let it go that cheap.
I said ok, I will look somewhere else.
I told him I WOULD find one somewhere, and left my phone number with him.
I would not budge one inch from the amount I wanted to spend.
The following day the salesman called to tell me the dealership agreed with my price.
I have no way of knowing what amount they offered the previous owner on a trade in, but obviously it was way below the price quoted on the sticker.
When I left the dealership with my 3, I felt it was a good deal for both of us.
In California, dealers are required by law to completely go through a vehicle that is taken in on trade, and repair or replace anything that does not meet specs.
I don't know if they had to replace anything other than the tires.
They did put new tires on it between the time I test drove it, and the time I bought it.
All in all, I stuck to my guns, and prevailed.
Stick to what you feel comfortable paying, and don't waver.
Set the price, and don't sign anything unless you are conffident you are getting the best deal.
Bob.
Thanks for the advice Bob. I do plan on not going beyond what I feel is a fair price. I already have the dealer's cost so that helps too.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:35 AM

Always negotiate negotiate negotiate!

I didn't haggle on the cost because my dealer was already willing to give the car up at invoice. All that's left after that, really, is holdback, and at that point if they lose the holdback they make no money. I'm not that damn selfish about haggling, so I stuck with the listed price of $13,999. However they did want to go cheap on the trade in. I wouldn't settle for less than what I wanted. They wanted to give me $3500 for my 2003 Mustang V6 trade in. I ended up getting $4800 for it. Friends of mine, and my dad, were like, "OMG dude how did u get that much!?"

Gotta keep fighting.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:40 AM

When we bought our '08 5, I called around to other dealerships. There is only one in my town, and the next closest is about an hour drive. I called 3 other dealerships and they all said to buy locally in my own town which surprised me - I was thinking that one of them may offer me something to drive out of town to purchase the car.

Ultimately I bought locally, and was happy with everything. They would only budge a little on the price, but they did throw in some free accessories etc (that I had asked for - stuff I would have bought anyways). All in all I was happy, although looking back, I am sure I could have had them drop a few more $$.

In the end they had to search for the car, I wanted the Galaxy Grey, 5 GT, with a manual transmission. There was only *1* in western Canada that fit those specs and it was on the boat in port in Vancouver. Took a week or so and the car arrived. I would have had to wait regardless of which dealership I went to.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: knucklehead11

Always negotiate negotiate negotiate!

I didn't haggle on the cost because my dealer was already willing to give the car up at invoice. All that's left after that, really, is holdback, and at that point if they lose the holdback they make no money. I'm not that damn selfish about haggling, so I stuck with the listed price of $13,999. However they did want to go cheap on the trade in. I wouldn't settle for less than what I wanted. They wanted to give me $3500 for my 2003 Mustang V6 trade in. I ended up getting $4800 for it. Friends of mine, and my dad, were like, "OMG dude how did u get that much!?"

Gotta keep fighting.
I'll fight for the best price but it appears that there's not that much of a difference in price between dealerships...probably because there's very little markups on the 2009 models. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: BCNorth

When we bought our '08 5, I called around to other dealerships. There is only one in my town, and the next closest is about an hour drive. I called 3 other dealerships and they all said to buy locally in my own town which surprised me - I was thinking that one of them may offer me something to drive out of town to purchase the car.

Ultimately I bought locally, and was happy with everything. They would only budge a little on the price, but they did throw in some free accessories etc (that I had asked for - stuff I would have bought anyways). All in all I was happy, although looking back, I am sure I could have had them drop a few more $$.

In the end they had to search for the car, I wanted the Galaxy Grey, 5 GT, with a manual transmission. There was only *1* in western Canada that fit those specs and it was on the boat in port in Vancouver. Took a week or so and the car arrived. I would have had to wait regardless of which dealership I went to.
It's a little better here as there are around 4 or 5 dealerships. And most of them have the car I'm looking for. Just a matter of who will offer me the best deal. What free accessories did they throw in for you? I'll try to ask for the same things. Thanks.