Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Rough engine on cold startup

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Default Rough engine on cold startup

2007 3 I. 2.0 auto. Sunroof. 16 inch wheels.

It may just be me. But has anyone notice the engine being shakey on an overnight/morning startup. Goes away after 30 seconds. (Which I assume is oil moving around) Just kind of weird. I wonder if it has a loose bolt in the mount. But, then it should shake all of the time. No worries till it falls out I guess. Quiet and smooth otherwise.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Rough engine on cold startup

To me, these engines are not the most civilized around. Yes, I have noticed a bit of unrest on cold start-ups. Not an unusual situation, imo.
You should try a harder rear engine mount w/the A/C on. Then you'll experience shaking.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

To me, these engines are not the most civilized around. Yes, I have noticed a bit of unrest on cold start-ups. Not an unusual situation, imo.
You should try a harder rear engine mount w/the A/C on. Then you'll experience shaking.

yeah, he aint kidding. by my car runs rough all the time though. I always get nervous. even before the 3rd mount.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:52 PM

ORIGINAL: LordChrisofSith

2007 3 I. 2.0 auto. Sunroof. 16 inch wheels.

It may just be me. But has anyone notice the engine being shakey on an overnight/morning startup. Goes away after 30 seconds. (Which I assume is oil moving around) Just kind of weird. I wonder if it has a loose bolt in the mount. But, then it should shake all of the time. No worries till it falls out I guess. Quiet and smooth otherwise.
I have the 2007 3i w/auto, and I have never noticed this. Minehas always been exceptionally smooth. BeforeI turn the motor off, I shut off all lights, completely shut down the climate control, and let the engine idle for about 10 seconds-might that make a difference? Ivery oftendon't drive my car for 2-3 days(I'm a mass transit user), and its still very smooth on start up.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:17 AM

You mean you guys had the car in to have the rear eng mount replaced. Or, is this an aftermarket thing you have done....
As far as knowing how to shut a car down. Of course I shut everything off and let the car idle for a bit to cool things off. Mass transit user. Where do you live New York?

Old 08-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: LordChrisofSith

You mean you guys had the car in to have the rear eng mount replaced. Or, is this an aftermarket thing you have done....
http://www.awrracing.com/mazda3/index.html
Often known as the torque mount. It helps reduce wheel hop on take-off and puts the power down better in general. But like most changes there is a trade-off.The 70 is kinda' rough. I can only imaginwe what the 88 is like.

ORIGINAL: LordChrisofSithAs far as knowing how to shut a car down. Of course I shut everything off and let the car idle for a bit to cool things off. Mass transit user. Where do you live New York?

I do most of that too, except I'm not carful @ all about shutting the heating/climate system down.Makes no difference in mine.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

To me, these engines are not the most civilized around.
V1, when you say the above, are you referring simply to the fact that they can be a bit noisy/shaky for some drivers... or something different?

Old 08-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

No. That's it.
There are many "tamer" 4-cyl in line engines out there, but I wouldn't trade mine for the world.I do feel like it could be better balanced though... or perhaps it's tuning? I'm not sure. 'Course when you start getting above 2.0L, it's hard to balance a traditionalin line four. They start getting shaky. Hence the use of (counter-)balance shafts.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:07 AM

just let the car idle when u start it up until the rpms drop to about 1k then it should run smooth, i have the 2.3l and i do this every time i start it up

Old 08-13-2007, 09:41 AM

Yep. I noticed that when I first start it in the morning. The RPM's are at 1500 for a few seconds. Then it comes down and smooths out.