Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

rear wheel well liner

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Default rear wheel well liner

Our 3's rear wheel well is not well protected, comparing to the two front wheel wells.
Espacially on the rear left wheel well, from there you can see the muffler. Anyone have any idea how to add a plastic liner to protect the metal part of the wheel well, and also for the strut tower plate and bolts? I can imagin the rust will begin from there, this is going to be a really useful mod if we could put our heads together to figure it out......

________
No2 vapir

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Default RE: rear wheel well liner

I put in rhino liner with a piece of plastic to protect all the wheel wells

Old 11-14-2007, 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: MrSpike118

I put in rhino liner with a piece of plastic to protect all the wheel wells
Great! Mr. Spike, Would you mind to share some details? esp. how to attach the liner to the wheel well arch? Thanks.

________
Buy cannabis seeds

Old 11-15-2007, 09:11 AM

Come on people, I know you are out there contemplating......we need to see your ideas. We can find 1/8" plastic pieces, my sticky point is how to attach it to the wheel arch, I don't want to drill holes there simply because that' speed up the rust around the holes. There's a fin-like structure on the back wall in the wheel well that have a few holes that can be used to fasten the plastic.

Also I am trying to find a few bolt thread cover for the bolts on the strut plate (two each side), the thread started to show rust now. Any ideas?

________
Paradise Park condo Jomtien

Old 11-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Win,
I have to admit that I haven't spent any time thinking about the rear wheel well. I live in Texas where things generally don't rust... too fast.

However, I think I have the perfect solution to saving the threads on your threaded bolts.
1. Clean the threads as completely as you can.
2. Plumber's Silicone Grease. GREAT STUFF, but costly too.(around $3.00 for a little "pot" but it goes a long way.)Completely waterproof, safeand very weather resistant too. I use this stuff on my sway bar bushings and they work quietly and very well.
3. Universal vacuum port covers. At any decent parts store, or buy a selection from good ole' JCWhitney. You can get a whole box of 'em in different sizes for around $15+/-.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:44 PM

I cant ever amagine why this is a problem. You dont see cars rusting out like in the 70's or early 80's. How long do you plan to own this car? My dodge neon was 7 years old and had 115,000 mile and it didnt have anyrust. the first 5 year of its lifewas in New England so it saw plenty of salt and snow.
God I'm bitchy today.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: eastcoaster

God I'm bitchy today.
Ya. I notice that too. Perhaps you should have your hormones checked, EC. Are you going through menopause too (like my wife is?)

Old 11-16-2007, 07:49 AM

I can be paranoid and obsessed too sometimes......I usually drive my cars to grave yard, just replaced my 20 year-old Toyota Corolla with the 3 so you can see. The Corolla has rusted through on the rear wheel wells. My other car is an MPV (2000, 7 years old), bought it when I was in Northern Califnornia, and took it with me in 2001 to upstate NY. It started to show rust on the rear well arch, and there's a palm size rust patch on the rear side panel that's connected to the rear wheel arch.

Anyways, thanks to Virgin1 for his good advise on the thread saver, I'm tempting to leave work to look for the product right now.

________
CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:02 PM

Vrigin, I got the Silivon Grease from Home Depot, the guy at HD does not even know what it is, i found out for him in the pile of soldering flux boxes. It's GOOD stuff, I had to wash my hands a few times to het it off my fingers, and water still could not stand. Thanks!

________
big women Webcams

Old 11-17-2007, 09:03 PM

BTW, where's Mr. Spike? show up man, tell us about your Rhino liner!
________
LATINABONITA LIVE

Quick Reply: rear wheel well liner