Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

radio removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Default radio removal

can anyone tell me how to remove my stock radio from my 05 mazda 3. i tried searching but couldnt find anything. also i need to know the speaker wire colors.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:11 PM

Easy, take off long black plastic piece. it will show the screws of the radio, remove the two top screws, pull out. by the top two screws the two that are closest to the radio on either side. I do believe the speaker wires are marked or the colors are listed on the back the radio but not 100 percent on that.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:34 PM

which long black peice are you talking about? im new to mazda and ive only had the car about 3 weeks and i dont want to break anything lol

Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 PM

nvm i got it. thanks for the help

Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 AM

yeah that piece is the trim that's really shiny lol and covers around the display starts by steering wheel and goes all the way to the far passenger vent

Old 08-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

3 - Remove the carbon trim by opening the glove box, and pulling towards you. Work you way towards the drivers side first, go back to the right side, and finish on the driver's side again. Watch out for the right side, since it's got a tab that tucks underneath. If it doesn't come out easily, you need to clear more of it on the left side first.

4 - Now that you have removed the trim, unscrew the screws that hold the factory stereo in place (the botton row, as shown circled in red), and pull the stereo unit towards you (the LCD screen will stay attached to the unit).

5 - 2 cables will be plugged in the back of the stereo. The fat, square one is the main harness. To unplug it, push on the little tab at the bottom, then pull, gently but firmly. The round cable with a red tip is the antenna. To remove it, same thing, pull gently but firmly. Once you have removed these cables, you will be able to competely remove the stereo unit. Here's a photo of the back. The connector circled in red is the CD changer connector, the one you will use to plug the GROM audio vehicle specific cable into.

6 - Remove the cup holder compartment, by simply pulling on it, as indicated on the following photo:

7 - Release the gear shift **** unit, by simply lifting it, as shown:

8 - This will reveal 2 screws that hold the ashtray compartment. Unscrew them as indicated, then pull the ashtray compartment towards you (it helps to stick your thumb in the cigarette lighter hole):

Old 08-13-2009, 01:47 PM

bingo

Old 08-13-2009, 04:35 PM

Can we sticky that if it is not done already???

Than question gets asked way to many times.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by apbbnbanb_07
Can we sticky that if it is not done already???

Than question gets asked way to many times.
hows it going im new to this mazda thing and i understand the steps involved with taking the sterio out but once i manage that i can replace the stock head unit with another one or thats a no go ?? lol has it been done b4

Old 08-18-2009, 06:22 AM

It's possible, you just would have to buy a dash kit to accomidate for an aftermarket HU.

Try here: http://siteground207.com/~protegeg/p...roducts_id=332

Quick Reply: radio removal