Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

questions about mazda 3 types

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Default questions about mazda 3 types

i have a few questions regarding the mazda 3i. keep in mind we are looking at purchasing used.

ABS: does the base level 3i come with it?
is ABS standard on the 3i touring and grand touring?

what makes up the clear differences between 3i base and 3i touring and 3i grand touring? i assume power windows, locks, etc but what's a guarantee of what it will and wont have?

we are having a hard determining what is what when looking at used mazda 3's and telling the difference between the three types. any dead give aways?

i looked at the "what the has to offer" thread but it didnt fully answer it (or else i am too dense and cant understand it)

thanks for the help and hopefully will be back, if we purchase a mazda 3, to suck more knowledge from your skulls

Old 03-23-2009, 05:10 PM

hi and welcome, the easiest way to see what the difference between the models is to simple go on the mazdausa.com website and look there. I know for a fact that the 3i touring model does not have abs (i wish i did) im pretty sure the grand touring (gt) does, the base model is just that....4 doors, 4 wheels and a motor, no accessories, the touring has power windows, power locks and the gt has all that plus abs power seats and some others. There are no visual difference in any of the i models except for rims, my suggestion for you is to get an 05 i touring its a good balance with options.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:24 PM

EDIT: nvm

Last edited by pooley; 03-23-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:40 PM

thanks for the welcome! and the speedy responses!

both of the 08 3i tourings that we test drove did not have ABS listed on the sticker but we turned the key one click (when all of the system lights come on on the instrument panel) and it showed up. we did the same to a base 3i (not sure what year) in the same lot and didnt come on. so that led us to believe that the 3i we test drove did indeed have ABS. would that be true to believe?

in regards to mazdausa.com, it says that "Standard: Power assist; Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) w/ Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) & Brake Assist" is across all levels/trims. i assume that is new for the 2009 model year? what do we know about previous years?

also (and completely off topic), when test driving various 3i's and getting prices figured out they offered to put in a moonroof at cost to them. is it worth it get a moonroof installed "aftermarket" or is it going to be more hassle and worry than fun and windy? i would just like an opinion on that. it would be done at the dealership.

thanks guys, and i really appreciate the help

Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 PM

My 2005 3i base model didn't have ABS.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by legal.xchech
thanks for the welcome! and the speedy responses!

both of the 08 3i tourings that we test drove did not have ABS listed on the sticker but we turned the key one click (when all of the system lights come on on the instrument panel) and it showed up. we did the same to a base 3i (not sure what year) in the same lot and didnt come on. so that led us to believe that the 3i we test drove did indeed have ABS. would that be true to believe?

in regards to mazdausa.com, it says that "Standard: Power assist; Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) w/ Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) & Brake Assist" is across all levels/trims. i assume that is new for the 2009 model year? what do we know about previous years?

also (and completely off topic), when test driving various 3i's and getting prices figured out they offered to put in a moonroof at cost to them. is it worth it get a moonroof installed "aftermarket" or is it going to be more hassle and worry than fun and windy? i would just like an opinion on that. it would be done at the dealership.

thanks guys, and i really appreciate the help
i kinda figured some features on models 08 and up would be standard that are not standard on previous models but i wasent sure. when i read the msrp paper sometimes i misread it and dont see options i thought it was supposed to have so that might your case right there or maybe not. As for the moonroof i nvr heard of ANY place that would offer to put in a moonroof other than a custom shop, um if you can get a dealer to do it then have them but i would never trust a run if the mill custom shop do something like that.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Lev

Starting with the 2008 1/2 models, ABS became standard across the board. The rest of the years it was an option. If the ABS light comes on when you turn the key, the car is equipped with it. I have an 05 s that doesn't have ABS. In 2006, that's when it became standard on the s models. I would have like the ABS, but i didn't buy the car. My dad has a gripe with ABS after a bad experience back in 94 with his 93 S-10 Blazer. Your best bet to finding out if the car has ABS is if you have the original window sticker, or go into the car and see if the ABS light comes on. Good luck.