Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

question for changing oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:20 AM
Default question for changing oil

Hi, if I change the oil by myself, how many bottle should I buy (1 quart per bottle)

Old 06-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Default RE: question for changing oil

should be 4 1/2 quarts i think, so 5 bottles.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:36 PM

I always buy enough to keep one sealed quart in the car for a rainy day.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:36 PM

You can also get a 5 quart jug at Walmart for a bit less per quart. They are a bit harder to pour without a funnel.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:19 PM

The correct answer is: ZERO.

If you have to come to this forum to asksuch abasic question, you should not be changing the oil yourself.

And some serious advice.Take a look at the engine from underneath ... there is no room under there to work, so unless you have jack stands or the flexibility of gumby, you won't be able to do it in your garage/driveway. If money is tight, look for a coupon or some small neighborhood garage who will do it cheap.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 PM

^^ there is nothing wrong with asking questions to learn..thats the main purpose of forums.

50% of my car knowledge has been learned through various forums. You should suggest something like......perhaps if you are doing one for the first time, ask a buddy to help that knows what he is doing. safty is first....or simply ask your mechanic if you can watch him do the oil change for learning purposes....most shops will allow you do watch an oil change.

and its not that hard to change oil....i do my 2 cars every 3-5K miles...and yeah jack stands are a must.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:37 PM

And there is nothing wrong with giving answers that help with the learning. It would be wrong to imply it is easy to do a change, when compared to many cars, the 3 has low clearance and tight access holes. The last thing I want to do is send someone down a path of frustration.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:19 PM

with jack stands its not that hard. 70% of cars need to be jacked up to do an oil change...at least one side of the car.

I have minimal automotice knowledge...no training, just teaching myself, forums, and a close friend....i have performed every mod on my car as well as other peoples.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:25 PM

i agree with urbanmann...although i think its great to learn via forums, screwing up changing the oil could have alot of bad reprocussions (i'll let you use your imaginations)...if you do change the oil yourself, make sure you know what you're doing, or you have someone there who knows what they're doing.

better to be safe than sorry = P

Old 06-20-2007, 09:45 PM

ohh i agree better safe then sorry and that somebody should be there to show him. Just saying don't turn people away from doing things themselves, just guide them in the right direction to help them.

thats why in my above post i mentioned watching your mechanic or having abuddy there. But there is still nothing wrong with paying somebody else to do it. to each there own.

and since the OP has never posted again....lol...for all we know he just purchased it used without a manual and was double checking the oil amounts...haha and we are still here talking.

Quick Reply: question for changing oil