Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Question about side trim on doors...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Default Question about side trim on doors...?

So I've seen some hatchbacks with the side door trim removed... or else it was never installed to begin with - I personally think it looks a whole lot nicer without the trim and the 2.3 on the side. Does anyone know how exactly they are attached and if I were to remove them, how would I safely go about doing it so that I may re-install them if needs be.

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Question about side trim on doors...?

The side moldings are only held on with adhesive (no bolts). To remove them get some fishing line or dental floss, start at one end and work the string under the molding and then just saw back and forth to cut through the adhesive. It helps to let the car sit out in the sun for awhile before starting to soften the glue. You can continue with the sawing motion until it's off, or once you have enough to hold onto you can just pull the rest off. After that use some goo gone on the remaining adhesive, then was/wax your car.

The same thing for the 2.3 badge on the sides, and the 3 badge on the back. The flying M logo, and the "mazda" on the back have adhesive and little posts holding them, so they leave holes... just fyi.

The thing you want to watch out for is paint fading. Most of the ones I've heard about have been done without incident, but a few people have had paint differences. Some of that was fixed by cleaning and waxing the car. Also one or two were becasue the car had had the doors repainted and the body shop didn't remove the moldings before painting.

If you decide you liked them better on the door then just get some 3M automotive adhesive (you can find it at places like advance auto or walmart). It should be gray with a red backing.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:08 PM

I've seen mazdas with those door trims that were on for two years and when the trim was removed, there was no discoloration. The cars were daily drivers as well, just to clarify.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not saying there will be discoloration, just that some people have had it. It also depends on the color of the car as brighter colors (i.e.- solar yellow) cars will fade more than darker colors (i.e.- gray). It's also possible that maybe the dealer put a little scratch on the door when it was on the lot and had the door repainted without removing the moldings.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:01 PM

I'm guessing some discoloration could be due to leaving on the goo gone solvents and such on the paint for too long. Just an idea.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:37 AM

Red pigments fade the fastest.

I wouldn't remove them unless you really like getting door dings.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:49 AM

ORIGINAL: sstlaure

yeah sometimes I hate other drivers, I'd feel soo bad if I left a door ding on someone elses car (I have never hit another door before in my life) I'd probably wait for them to return to their car and work out something. I hate how inconciderate some people are.

if I ever repair all my dings and repaint, I am parking sooooo far away from everywhere I go.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sstlaure

The side moldings aren't the most effective for stopping door dings, as they're not at the widest part of the door. Most other car doors are going to strike higher on the door and ding you there. That being said my moldings have prevented a few dings so I'm keeping them on.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: 87 turbo II

if I ever repair all my dings and repaint, I am parking sooooo far away from everywhere I go.

you know, I parked away from people for a while. Even when I was at places such as Walmart, I would park far away from other vehicles... but then there would always be a vehicle that had to park right next to me (despite the fact that i was 10 spots away from any other vehicle beforehand). As cautious as you can be, you may never win! [sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 08-02-2006, 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: the_gray_mazda6

ORIGINAL: 87 turbo II

you know, I parked away from people for a while. Even when I was at places such as Walmart, I would park far away from other vehicles... but then there would always be a vehicle that had to park right next to me (despite the fact that i was 10 spots away from any other vehicle beforehand). As cautious as you can be, you may never win! [sm=boohoo.gif]
Haha one time was saw a silver Dodge Viper parked at the very end of the parking lot of best buy (forget 10 spaces away, this was 75% of the lot away) and some Acura RSX pulled right up to the Viper's driver's side (mere inches away) I think some A-holes do it because they know it will get to you.

Quick Reply: Question about side trim on doors...?