Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Problems or Im paranoiying?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Default Problems or Im paranoiying?

Hi, Im from Canada and I recently purchase a Mazda3 2004 gx, and it's been almost a month that I have it and like it!!! But there's some problems that I've found when driving. When I turn the steering when Im stopped, my headlights dims like it takes alots of power from the generator, and when the car is idled I can hear some wierd noise like apulley is forcing comming from the hood, I want to know if it normal or im paranoiying. Thank you!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Problems or Im paranoiying?

There has been talk of a problem w/some '04's concerning the idler pulley. Mine never seemed to develop the problem so it's a limited one.Ibelieve there used to be a TSB about it, but upon a recent review of them (today, as a matter fo fact) I cannot find it anymore.
The dimming lights is normal. If it bothers you that much you might consider getting a "voltage stabilizer" to improve the issue, but in the long run, it's only an annoyance not a problem.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:48 PM

Thank for your reply,should Igetthat pulley replaced or if it's ok that I leave as it is?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

To coin an old phrase in theautomotive business, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 PM

hehe 100% agreed But Im just worried because it sounds like it's forcing,I tell myself that it will seize someday.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

If that turns out to be the case, then it is "broke" and you should fix it... before it becomes a problem.
If you're not sure yourself, have a pro look at it for you. You bought the car used. Did you get any kind of warranty?

Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 AM

the dimming of headlight is due to that the hydro-electric power steering drawing power from the battery. It needs max power when the car is at stop to steer. The manual also warns not to keep the steering at max angle for more than 5 seconds. old generation of PS has the pump being driven by the serpentine belt which wastes power when you don't need it much at high speed, so the new generation has a pump driven directly by electric power. It also makes a whining sound when the pump is working, annoying but oh well.
________
Silversurfer vaporizer

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

The first time I was outside the car and heard that whining noise (slow or no speed) I thought it sounded kinda' cool... robotic like.
Win is right in all respects though. More and more new cars have electric over hydraulic PS and when the car is at rest it will take much more electrical power to turn the wheels anf therefore draw more from the alternator and battery.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:41 AM

Yes I have a very LIMITED warranty that I dont think that it will be covered.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:07 PM

Hmm, maybe that's the noise I've been hearing on my 07 itouring.....sounds almost like a starwars-esqe whine, like a hydraulic only really high pitched. A bunch of people who've ridden in my car go "whoa,that soundedcool!" like it's some fancy part of the car working, but I know better. Never worried about it much tho it gets your attention!