Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

problem aboout mpg.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 01:56 AM
Default problem aboout mpg.

Hi, everyone. My name is Sam. New in this forum.

I'm a new driver, still have lot to learn from you guys. But i still hope you guys can help me out.

I got this second hand Mazda 3 sport GS Nov 04. It's MAX mile per tank is only 230 miles!!

This is a strange mile/tank figure compare to the figures you all showed in the other topic......

I'm very worry about my situation right now, because i didn't really check the car's condition when i first bought it.

I also find my car hit 60 from a stop in a very slow time. can you guys share your time with me?

Old 10-05-2005, 02:02 AM
Default RE: problem aboout mpg.

It's an auto, and it has 8400 miles in Nov 04. It is 15600miles now.

I changed engine oil and air filter once only.

Please help me, thx

Old 10-05-2005, 03:33 PM

the only changing the oil and air filter ONCE can be a big problem.... if you drive the car alot it is recommended that you change the oil and filter every 3000. Thats what I do anyways, because I drive my 3 quite alot.

Also- if you check out the topic called "problem when accelerating" in THIS forum , you will see an answer to your question about accelerating slow from a stop to 60 MPH.

Mazda 3's are equipped with a slow-reaction time... happens to all of them I am sure, and I asked my Mazda dealer about this...

Hope this is useful info!

[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 10-17-2005, 05:19 PM

Yea, you got to change the oil more frequently. When its time to change the oil in my car I can feel it in the change of response I get from the engine. Your car should be running like crap if you've only changed the oil once. Meggzi07 is giving you some great advice (as he always does). You might also think about putting in some gas treatment or octane boost every once in a while. Or you could go to Sherwin Williams and buy yourself a 5 gallon container of Toluene (about $50) and share it with your track running friends.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:28 PM

first off the the 3 and 6 do not accelerate that fast. The gearing is not set up for that. You will not get alot of torque until you get around 4000 rpms. Does your 3 have traction control? If it does that will kill your get up and go. Check if you have a 17' wheel, it will hurt your acceleration. Having a smaller diameter wheel will increase accleration, but hamper top speed! Also, make sure your air intake assembly is airtight. If there is a leak, it will hurt your accleration and kill your gas mileage. And finially, check spark plugs. They should be fine at only 15k, but you never know.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:33 PM

oh crap i just saw the part about changing oil only once. Always change oil every 3000 to 5,000 miles. Never go past 5,000. You will begin to induce excessive wear on your engine. Get some AMS motor oil. You should see a increase of 2 mpg.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:10 PM

yea you don't want to wreck your engine

Old 10-21-2005, 11:05 AM

Hi! I am from Hungary. Here in Europe the service period including oil change is 20 000 kms. It is a "bit" more than 3-5 000 miles (1 mi = 1.6 km). If it is the same engine (and it is) than you are wasting much on oil and air filter.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:39 PM

Actual spec for Mazda recommended oil change interval in US for ( unique driving condition which virtually all cars fall under ) is every 4 months, 8000 km, or 5000 miles. Air cleaner every 2 years unless needed earlier. Here in the US we have been pretty well trained by all of the fast lube places to change every 3 months or 3000 miles.

Old 10-21-2005, 11:05 PM

yea we like our cars to run

Quick Reply: problem aboout mpg.