Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Panasonic AK23331 12V Battery - AGM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 10:34 AM
Default Panasonic AK23331 12V Battery - AGM?

I just want to confirm that the OEM battery that came with my 2020 Mazda 3 Hatchback is a regular 12V battery, not an AGM battery? It is a Panasonic AK23331 12V Battery according to the sticker.

Surprisingly, I can't find specs for this battery anywhere online. The battery only says "12V" on it but want to be sure it's not a "12V AGM" before I hook up the battery charger to it.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-25-2022, 10:49 AM

Welcome to the forum
Sorry this question is a more or less an internet search general product question which I am sure you already read the results? Maybe some other member may have some suggestions?
There is definitive ways to identify most AGM batteries. In the worst case if carefully monitor the charging rate and have a setting that can go 2amps or less you can safely use a universal old style battery charger as long as the battery voltage has not gone below 11.5 volts and the battery does not get hot to touch during the charging. If it has then chances are that the battery has already been in the state of failing.

Last edited by Callisto; 12-25-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-27-2022, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

I've never seen an AGM battery fitted from the factory in a Mazda.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:20 PM

AGM batteries are more expensive than the regular wet cell ones.
And vehicle manufacturers only spend what they have to in order to get their cars out of the door.
Every single dollar counts to the accountants.
Although sealed batteries are in my opinion just as good as they do not leak acid fumes all over the
engine bay!!!

Old 06-09-2023, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by nimbus
AGM batteries are more expensive than the regular wet cell ones.
And vehicle manufacturers only spend what they have to in order to get their cars out of the door.
Every single dollar counts to the accountants.
Although sealed batteries are in my opinion just as good as they do not leak acid fumes all over the
engine bay!!!
This is not accurate about the cost of batteries. It all depends on where you are purchasing the battery and what their price point for what they offer is.

And where in the world did you get the information about how auto manufactures choose what battery to use in a factory completed vehicle? Please post the Mada engineering specification for what battery must be used in any given model? Or just in general?
A maintain charging system should not have acid leaking or fumes problems in the engine compartment.

BTW did you happen to see the age of this thread before responding to the OP?

There has been countless post on various forums that member had purchased a new vehicle from a dealership and had to have the battery serviced to find that it was not a factory battery. This is not uncommon because batteries will go bad at times as the new vehicles sit on sales lots waiting to be sold. The onboard Electroncis that many new MAZDA as well other platforms have can drain the battery voltage to a no start voltage need to be charged up. Unfortunately, lot service people will us a fast charge or start mod to get the vehicle started. this can quickly kill a battery if it is done to many times. So the dealership will replace the battery with a battery recommended for the vehicle which may not always be a OEM battery. But you will get the same warranty as a factory battery.