Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

OIL FILTER QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Default RE: OIL FILTER QUESTION

[sm=signs007.gif]...It does

Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 AM

GREAT, lol...that is ridiculous to me....its 2007!!

Do the quick change oil places change these or no?

Old 01-25-2007, 01:36 PM

They should know how to replace itbut I can't really tell because I never used these so called"Quick Oil Change" places, I just don't trust themspecially with a new car.I ratherdo itmyself and choose the brand ofoil I like. In your case, with a 2007 model,I'llrecommend to takeit tothe Mazda Dealer for oil changeto avoid any problem.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:34 PM

Well, I am a licensed aircraft mechanic and doing it is no problem but it come down to time for me. My local oil change place I trust and they carry mobil 1 (which is all I use) so I guess I will call them.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:14 PM

That's good you trust them with the Mobil 1 because some places just fill up their oil pumps with any orless expensive brands. One more thing...., just make sure they tight ( at torque specifications) the filter and oil pan plug to avoid leaks.Some of these "quickoil places" have a bad reputation about leaving these parts loose or over tighted.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:25 PM

The 2.3 engine always uses the cartridge style oil filter. OE #L321-14-302-9U. This includes the filter, large "o" ring for the plastic housing and small 'o' ring for the 7mm drain plug. The 2.0 engine uses a standard spin on filter OE #LF10-14-302.
The upside of having the oil changed at the dealer is that all service/maintenance records are right there on file. If your engine fails at say 25,000 milesand you have no proof of changing the oil there is a very strong probability that engine replacement cost will be out of your own pocket. If you do get changed at Jiffy Lube they often keep records but would definitely be in your best interest to save all of those receipts with date and mileage. If you change your own oil is ok too but again, save the receipt for oil and filter purchase and write the date and mileage changed on that receipt. That is also an acceptable form of proof.
The other sticky point with the cartridge style filter is leaks from the housing that would cause enough oil loss to cause engine damage.
One source of leakage is getting the large "o" ring pinched between the plastic housing cover and aluminum housing on engine. This can be virtually eliminated by replacing and lubricating the 'O' ring each time the housing cover is removed. Old 'O' rings tend to swell a little and are much more likely to get damaged during installation of cover.
The other source of leakage has been from using an incorrect tool to remove the plastic cover. It is only plastic and can be easily cracked or weakened with stress fractures that can start leaking 1000 miles after the oil was last changed. Plier type or squeeze type removal tools should not be used PERIOD. The correct tool is very inexpensive compared to engine replace!!!! It ispretty much a guarantee you that if your engine is damaged due to oil loss caused by either of the above two issues then warranty will not cover the engine repair/replace. Dealer cost for the filter wrench is $11.25 from M-store so it will be up to the individual dealer as to what they will charge you for the part.

Sorry for the long post but felt is was important for you to know this info.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:54 PM

Very, very ...[sm=interesting.gif]Thanks for the feedback babyhuey. Verygood information for 2.3 owners....[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 01-25-2007, 10:19 PM

I bought the oil filter wrench toremove the plastic cover at my local Mazda dealer for $6.00 (part#A251). It can be used on the Mazda M3/M6

Old 01-26-2007, 01:30 AM

Did your dealer sell you an aftermarket removal tool? They are available but kind of hard to find. Did the packaging list the manufacturer? The only source of aftermarket that I have seen so far has been from Mac Tools and do not know the price of that item as I have several OE and had no interest. The part number for OE is AKS75140 and is available only thru M-store and not the regular Mazda parts order system.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:20 AM

Theremoval tool I bought from the Mazda dealer is a RiteFit76mm x 14 flute cap-type oil filter wrench (same size of the filter cover on the 2.3 M3)and it can be use with 3/8 drive tool.
The Part# isA251 (aftermarket brand) made by CTA. If you can't find it at your local Mazda dealer try buying it on line at: www.ctatools.comIt might be a difference in price but I'm not sure.

Quick Reply: OIL FILTER QUESTION