Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   noob security system question... (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/noob-security-system-question-14190/)

mikes_mazda 04-28-2008 08:15 PM

noob security system question...

Sorry for what is probably a stupid question, but the 'security system' in the 3 is a little confusing to me. First off, is there actually a security system at all? I read in the book that the light comes on when you lock the car that shows an icon of a car with a key on it, but when I tried opening the door while it was locked or 'rocking' against it, nothing triggered the alarm.

So Im lead to believe the light is sort of a dummy light or a warning that the car has a 'panic mode' from the fob? If this is the case, what are some decent not super expensive options for a security system?

mazdachris 04-28-2008 08:27 PM

RE: noob security system question...

I don't believe any alarms will go off. The alarm thing is for preventing people starting/stealing the car without the key. Not for breaking in and stealing stuff.

deer3 04-28-2008 08:27 PM

ya thats a good question...i can say this that when u were rocking the car if u rocked it harder the horn might have went off coz a while back a kid hit my car with his bike and the horn started to repeatedly honk till i came out and like unlocked and locked it again...so maybe it has to be a decent impact on the car to trigger it

mikes_mazda 04-28-2008 08:32 PM

So would it be a good idea to install a security system? I was talking to the guy at autozone today who showed me one by autovox for about $60 that has an additional key fob for the alarm and will sound when the car feels an impact or if you try repeatedly to open the door while locked. Im mainly looking to do it for the insurance perk (about $15 off a month :D) but Im not sure if there any requirements that you must follow for that to be effective.

jaimie08mazda3 04-29-2008 01:44 AM

actually you both are incorrect. the light with a key in it is the immobilizer system mazda has put in their vehicles. it tells you that after you lock it nobody can steal your car because the only key that will work in the ignition is yours. now i believe there is a seperate light for the mazda3 alarm system but that comes with the complete luxury package which is the GT. if you do not have the top of the line. there is no security system. just keyless entry.

mikes_mazda 04-29-2008 11:01 PM

Thats what I kinda figured! Any ideas on a decent security system?

jaimie08mazda3 04-29-2008 11:05 PM

a decent one i found out will run you around 300-500 depending. but these are 2 ways and i think righjt now thats all you can get

06black3 04-29-2008 11:51 PM

ya for the record, deff get a one. also when you have it installed tell your insurance carrier, they normally will give you a break when u have a security system. stick with brand names ones, viper makes good ones, and check out the local car stereo stores. HI FI BUYs TWEETER, ect ect, they do a good job, and when you do make sure you find out what kind of warrenty the install has,
i've been around this for a while, and if its a half azz'ed job done it will be a giant pain in the ass in a couple of years, and also make sure they put in a valet mode, or toggle switch..[8D]

mikes_mazda 04-30-2008 07:40 AM

The insurance break is the whole reason for installing one. Anyone have some links to setups? Sounds like I should not even bother with the Autovox one the guy at autozone showed me?

mikes_mazda 04-30-2008 07:44 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-APS25...333&sr=8-4

This one is what autozone had, but I would kind of like to have the remote starter option.