Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Noisy seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Default Noisy seats

2007 Mazda 3 Sedan. 2.0.

I have noticed lately that my seats are clicking. You would not notice it with a window down or with music on. However, driving without anything running, I hear this constant clicking noise from the seats. Both. I tried lubing everything. Irritating at best. I've tried putting seat in different position, to no avail.

It's kind of random. No rythem to it.

One more thing. If the car is not moving or on. I move around in the seat but it won't do it.

Your thoughts?

Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Default RE: Noisy seats

Hey SST. You are a seat engineer are you not. Is there anything to lube inside the seat itself. I unzipped that rear cover. Lubed everthing that looks like it moves. Lubed the handles and seat track. There are some springs under the seat and seat back, but that would be messy. Your thoughts?

Old 04-29-2008, 06:51 AM

I am......I'm thinking that either one of the springs became loose on one end or the other, or maybe the lumbar basket in the seatback became detached somehow (they are usually a u-shaped wire that hooks over the frame.)

You shouldn't need to lube anything. Is the noise coming from any particular area of the seat?

You could go to a Murray's (or other auto parts store) and borrow their amplified listening device to help track down exactly where the noise is coming from. (basically a set of headphones with a long probe that you move around until the noise gets the loudest...very handy for diagnosing internal engine noises as well.)

Old 04-29-2008, 11:31 AM

It's very difficult to pinpoint the noise. Sounds like it's coming from one seat, then the other. I will leave the radio off on the way to work today to see if I can pinpoint it. Weird. It started in the winter, so I did not give it much thought. Thought of the plastics rubbing together when really cold. Now, very noticable in the warmer weather. I will post again later tonight.

Thanks.

This may end up being a dealer 3 trip deal.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:41 PM

SST:
I never even thought. But going thru the workshop manual to see if there is anything on the seats. I never even thought about the seat airbags I could inadvertantly deploy.
Better stop messin around with it.

Could not get into the dealer this week. They are excessivly busy. Will have to live with it for ahwile.

Still did not pinpoint issue. Could be the springs in the back and the seat bottom. Don't think it's the track or handles.

Best for me to leave alone.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:24 PM

I agree. If you're still under warranty, why risk it.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:57 PM

Just an update. It's the damdest thing. My family drove all the way to Indianna (8hrs) and I never noticed the noise in the seats.
(Mind you, wife in the r/f and kid in the rear. Wife talks, kid plays DS video game)

So, I let it go.

The only way I can hear it is with the windows up and the radio off.

Then it becomes constant. Like a sqeaky, clicky old mattress.

So, I bring it to the dealer. (Was getting 24000 service done anyways)
Could not hear it or duplicate it. They adjusted the seats at the base and tighten the bolts. I got in the car (very hot out) and drove home. A/C on. I thought it was fixed.

Turns out, it comes from the seat springs in it self. However, the only way that I can duplicate it is when it's hot out and I don't have the A/C on. So, the interior of the car has to be hot as well. Like the springs are sweating or something.

So, I will have to take it back to the dealer................again.

This time I will have to mention to leave the A/C off. Or, just take the service manager with me.

I personally thing I will need two new front seats. How do you fix the springs? I don't know.

Bitchen.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:57 PM

If they are a simple coil spring design youshould be able toapply a little grease to them (maybe work it in with a toothbrush.) It won't take much to get rid of the noise as it is most likely coming from coil to coil rubbing within the spring.

They should be able to access them fairly easily from the underside of the seat cushion (with the seat unbolted)

Old 07-11-2008, 07:28 PM

Well. Since April I have been living with this creeky noise (in what I thought was) my seats.
Creak, creak, creak..........Took it to dealer once. Could not be duplicated by the tech. Well, I found time to let my dealer's service manager take it home. He did....two nights. Since I could not figure it out, I was hoping he would. And, they did. Finally a quiet car.
Turns out it was the seatbelts. Don't know what they did. Lubed/tightened/replaced. But it worked. I am a happy 3 driver again. Was even considering taking the hit and trading it in. Glad I did not.

I know SST will be glad to hear this.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:14 PM

Glad you got it worked out. Maybe it was the bolt that holds the d-ring (loop that the belt goes through on the b-pillar) That was a wierd one.

Quick Reply: Noisy seats