Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Newbie Question (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/newbie-question-22980/)

timk125 05-28-2010 12:08 AM

Newbie Question

So I just recently purchased a 2008 Mazda 3 Sport HB.

I love it but I just have one question/concern.

Why do my rear wheels make it look like I've got a whale in my trunk? It just looks like I have a heavy load in the back and its bugging me, I don't know if this is just normal or if I have a serious issue on my hands..

Tracker 05-28-2010 07:40 PM

take a pic, maybe its the way your lookin @ it

virgin1 05-28-2010 09:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Kinda' looks like this, Tim? (Sorry, perhaps not the best pic for this example.)

That's called negative camber... when the bottom of the wheel/tire sticks out further than the top. Negative camber helps with the stability of the car in hard turns, but also wears the inside tread of the tire faster. It can be an issue w/these cars as the specification is pretty broad.
IIRC, -0.5* to -2.0* of camber is considered "normal," or within spec. Unfortunately, the only way to correct for too much negative camber is to replace the upper rear control arm with a longer one or an adjustable one. SPC makes the latter (as do a few others.)

They go for around $200/set, but w/o them, even w/regular tire rotations, you could be going through tires like they are going out of style, or about every 20k miles.

timk125 05-29-2010 11:28 AM

Thanks virgin1!

This may be a dumb question but would just getting them aligned do anything?

Tracker 05-29-2010 11:32 AM

heh i just ordered mine 165 shipped, same brand, my car is lowered 1.5in in the rear and i checked the alignment and its right at -2degrees, so when i put these on imma bring em in a little

virgin1 05-29-2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tracker (Post 107371)
heh i just ordered mine 165 shipped, same brand, my car is lowered 1.5in in the rear and i checked the alignment and its right at -2degrees, so when i put these on imma bring em in a little

Smart move, Travis, and that is what I got mine for about 3 yrs ago too, but it's not the norm. So I quoted a more average price based on what I've seen lately.

Originally Posted by timk125 (Post 107369)
Thanks virgin1!
This may be a dumb question but would just getting them aligned do anything?

That's what I was trying to tell you. There is no adjustment for rear camber w/o getting adjustable rear upper control arms. So the answer is no, just a normal alignment won't work. It won't make any difference in camber. Only rear toe in is adjustable from the factory.
Think of it this way: You can buy several sets of tires that wear out prematurely, or you can "invest" in SPC's and save in the long run.

timk125 05-30-2010 12:00 AM

Alrighty. Thanks.

I dunno why I bothered asking ha.

I'll look into the adjustable arms. How difficult in the install on them? (Fingers crossed you can get it done on a Saturday in the driveway)

Tracker 05-30-2010 02:09 AM

yea u can get it done in one day in your driveway, i wouldnt suggest adjusting the angles with a stock ride height, you would be compromising your turning abilites.

Here is a better question, how much do you plan on spending on this car and dont me the "hopefully not too much" i want a real number, just throw something realistic out there.

timk125 05-30-2010 09:55 AM

Well since I've only had it like a week I haven't really thought about it. It's an automatic so I don't know if there is even a point in dropping serious money in it. I've still got to make payments on it and that paired with my insurance payments and me starting College in the fall will probably put major modifications on the back burner for now.

I'm not even sure what I would like to do to the car itself. When I do start modding in I'd probably start with the standard exhaust, header, CAI, maybe a intake manifold. I know turboing it or supercharging or whatever is all out of the question considering it is an automatic.

The car even has some warranty left on it so I wouldn't be able to start doing anything major until it's out.

virgin1 05-30-2010 01:19 PM

The install is not an easy one, but yes, it can be accomplished in one day (or less) w/the right help and tools.
You need to lower the rear suspension between 1-2" (6 bolts) and also loosen part of the fuel system under there. I forget exactly what but these pieces do not need to be removed, just displaced for clearance.
2-17mm wrenches are also necessary, the thinner the better. It's tight in there.
As for adjusting before or after lowering it, I suggest that you look at and go by the specs the car is already at. If near or at -2* already, I'd dial it back a bit. I doubt you will notice much or any real handling changes... but your tires will thank you for the relief. :D