Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Newb here, Mazda 3 vs Mazda 6

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:27 PM
Default Newb here, Mazda 3 vs Mazda 6

This is going to be my first, nice, newer type of car purchase. I have the cash, about $15,000.

Anyways, I'm kind of in a quandary on which Mazda I want, a 3 or a 6. I want the latest body style on each, so that's a 2013 or newer 6 or a 2014 or newer 3.

I've found the value for $$$ is better on the 3, you can get a newer, lower mileage car for less $$$$ However the 6 is more car, a lot more car in terms of back seat space and trunk space. Features, both are pretty similar from what I've looked at, it just depends on the trim level as to how much stuff you get. Build quality is pretty similar as well, both are pretty damn tight feeling.

Main thing I've found frustrating in shopping is finding a car with the six speed manual that I like. That is a non-negotiable option IMO, I've driven a 2016 mid spec Mazda 3, I think a touring, 2.0 engine/automatic, had most of the options except leather seats. I didn't like it, felt like a dog with that automatic.

Little 4 cylinder engines that love to rev, like Mazda engines, they feel a lot more peppy with a manual IMO(even if the on paper acceleration numbers are similar). Drove a Mazda 6 with the manual, most options including leather seats, 19" wheels(did not like that option, tire replacement is stupid expensive and tires are good for 20-30k miles max), IMO it drove pretty similar to the 3. I was hoping it would have a lot more sound insulation, but that was not the case, you could hear those 19" tires singing right along just as loud as the 16" tires on the 3.

So is the 6 worth more than the 3???? Styling on the 3 hatch and 6 sedan are pretty much equal to me, both are pretty good looking and a bit funky. IE not boring and a bit different IMO.

Right now its kind of down to can I find a better deal on a 3 hatch/manual or a 6 sedan/manual. There are a couple things I like about the 6 better, the gauge cluster, the rear 3/4 visibility, the carpet doesn't seem as cheap, maybe the fact that there is more depreciation so I am buying slightly more car for the $$$$.

Anyways, what do you all think, 3 or 6???

Old 04-27-2018, 07:39 AM

If you want a manual transmission and leather seats, then you only have one option, the Mazda3 s GT.

FWIW, we have one, it has 18" wheels and with nearly 30,000 miles on the tires they are still nice and quiet.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:04 PM

My question is what is your priority between speed/handling or extra space.

If you want the best in speed/handling go with a Mazda 3 S Grand Touring with the 2.5 engine if you need leather or the Touring if you can settle for the leatherette. You should be able to get a 15 or 16 with 30,000 miles for around 15,000.

I have the Mazda 3 2.5 Touring. The seats are as good as leather in my opinion. My 6 foot 3 son does not complain about being in the back on occasion. I would not give it up for a Mazda 6 unless I get the turbo.

Some years they called the version of the Mazda 3 with the 2.5 the S and other years they called it 2.5.

Good of luck and let us know what you get.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:42 PM

Hi there I agree with what others said and really depends on your priority. A few things to note. All Mazda cars in general have loud road noise, one of the weakness of Mazda except for the new CX-9, but you are looking at 30k to start & can easily be 40k or more.

3 does appeared to be a better value than 6. In my opinion, 3 is one of the best in compact car segment, but 6 compare to other midsize doesn't really stand out. There is the new 2018 2.5 turbo charged 6 but probably closer to 30k to start.

I have a 3 also and I do love it for daily commute and around town. Great handling around curve and fun to drive, decent mpg not the best but better than average. But I hated it for long road trip, it is not a car to be in for trip more than 3 hrs long, your body will be sore and feels like you are in gocart for hrs. That's why I have an Acura for midsize sedan and CX9 for family hauler for long road trips. Hope this helps.