Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   New here and need advice on which to buy please Help (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/new-here-need-advice-buy-please-help-13271/)

GM991 03-10-2008 01:37 PM

New here and need advice on which to buy please Help

Hi all
new here.
I'm buy with in the month and I have two cars I'm looking at right now.
First isa matalic Phantom Purple Mica 2007 S Touring 23k miles, moonroof, 5spd automatic, Electrochromatic Rear View Mirror and 6 disk CD changer. 13k miles left on the 3-36k warrenty.

Second is an 2005Black S with 38k miles, moonroof, 4spd automatic. leather heated seats and Bose sound system.
12k miles left on the 4-50k warrenty

I difference between the two is about $1500.

What to do?

Is the 5 spd auto that much better then the 4spd?

Is there a way to hook an Ipod up in the 2005? (I know the 07's have the jack in the center stack)

Are there more standared features on the 07 touring S that I don't know about compared to the 05 "S"

I guess the question is ...is the Bose and leather heated seats worth the two more years and higher miles??

Also what do you guys think of the Purple??
I kind of like it.....but????? It looks more maroon to me...:)
thanks

icspots 03-10-2008 03:06 PM

RE: New here and need advice on which to buy please Help

ORIGINAL: GM991

Hi all
new here.
I'm buy with in the month and I have two cars I'm looking at right now.
First isa matalic Phantom Purple Mica 2007 S Touring 23k miles, moonroof, 5spd automatic, Electrochromatic Rear View Mirror and 6 disk CD changer. 13k miles left on the 3-36k warrenty.

Second is an 2005Black S with 38k miles, moonroof, 4spd automatic. leather heated seats and Bose sound system.
12k miles left on the 4-50k warrenty

I difference between the two is about $1500.

What to do?

Is the 5 spd auto that much better then the 4spd?

Is there a way to hook an Ipod up in the 2005? (I know the 07's have the jack in the center stack)

Are there more standared features on the 07 touring S that I don't know about compared to the 05 "S"

I guess the question is ...is the Bose and leather heated seats worth the two more years and higher miles??

Also what do you guys think of the Purple??
I kind of like it.....but????? It looks more maroon to me...:)
thanks
Where are you located? If you're in the US then the 2005 model is actually one of the limited production sp23's.... I think only 5000 were made... since in '05 they were the only ones that came with the bose system. If it is a sp23 then it's actually carbon gray, not black, and it has HID headlights. Really the sp23 is roughly equivalent to the current GT model except without auto climate control.

I'm a MTX guy so I can't really speak much about the ATX between the years, though I believe people are much happier with the 5 speed vs the earlier 4 speed one.

In '05 there wasn't a standard audio input, however there are tons of options for hooking up an external device ranging from simple audio inputs like the Aux Mod, to full ipod integration with text display on the LCD. Let me know if you want more info about those.

Standard feature-wise I think the biggest changes have been making more trims with fewer individual options. Newer models are more likely to have side airbags and ABS. Also I believe some '07's (maybe all) have traction control. The '07 has the ambient temp display,, though you could add one of the auto-dim mirrors and get that feature on the '05. For the most part they're basically the same car, but if there's a specific feature that makes or breaks the deal for you then go with that vehicle. Personally I might go with the '05 if it has the HIDs. My '05 has about 42k miles on it right now and aside from a few rattles that I need to dampen I've had basically no problems with it.

virgin1 03-10-2008 03:34 PM

I personally like the purple. Andyou're right. It's morer plum purple than a grape purple.
By '07, Mazda had made improvements in the handling and supposedly the A/C system. And as you'd said, added more standard features. And of the 2, I would opt for the 5-sp auto. You should see better mileage from it.
Leather? Eh!! I'm not too int leather seating anyway, but have heard (not experienced) that the leather is not the best quality. If you live in a hot climate it's always hot. If you live in a cold climate, the leather will be cold and clammy feeling... at least until the heat in the seats takes over which I'm sure would be a few minutes. Also, leather requires more maintainence and is harder to take care of.

Though I like the look of the earlier ones (like mine) better, I'd still go for the '07.

GM991 03-10-2008 03:39 PM

thanks for the info.
I live here in the northeast and traction control would be kind of needed...:)
Side air bags??...Well I do have two little girls that ride in the back....:):)

So you think the bose and the leather plus it being a sp23 I should go for the 2005.

So how hard is it to do the aux jack mod?

thanks

SPeeDy3 03-10-2008 03:54 PM

thats a simple no brainer. the 07 has less mileage and more warranty left. 5 spd auto trumps 4 spd any day. and the purple isnt even that big of a deal. theres so many purple cars out there.

icspots 03-10-2008 03:56 PM

thanks for the info.

So you think the bose and the leather plus it being a sp23 I should go for the 2005.

thanks
If you're driving in snowy conditions a good set of snow tires and careful driving will be far more usefull than traction control. I'm not saying that TC isn't good, but it won't help if the tires can't get traction anyway. I would highly discourage buying a 3 without side airbags, nuff said.

Like virgin I'm also not a big fan of leather, though I wish I had heated seats.... one of these days I'll add them to my cloth seats. I wouldn't make the deal based on the leather or the bose.... even with it being a sp23. I mean they're rare, but you can get basically all of the options and more on a newer grand touring (except for the optional saddle brown leather and the carbon gray interior). You'd just have the novelty of the limited edition car.

Depding on which method you went with you'd probably be done with opening the dash, plugging in the aux unit, and running the cable in about 20 minutes. It's super easy.

GM991 03-10-2008 04:30 PM

So from what you guys are saying
The o7 has all this on the 05 "S"
traction control,5spd auto,mp3 jack,side air bags, Electrochromatic Rear View Mirror, better AC.
Am I missing anything??

I guess that would make the extra 1500 or so worth it then no?

VB 03-10-2008 05:06 PM

I'd be a bit wary of the '07 - 23K miles in a year is an awful lot. It's likely been driven quite hard.

GM991 03-10-2008 05:16 PM

In service date is sept. 2006

SPeeDy3 03-10-2008 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: VB

I'd be a bit wary of the '07 - 23K miles in a year is an awful lot. It's likely been driven quite hard.
i agree about the mileage being extra high. but high mielage doesnt have to mean the car was driven hard or abused. btw wat is the price ur getting the 07 at?

GM991 03-10-2008 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: icspots

thanks for the info.

thanks
If you're driving in snowy conditions a good set of snow tires and careful driving will be far more usefull than traction control. I'm not saying that TC isn't good, but it won't help if the tires can't get traction anyway. I would highly discourage buying a 3 without side airbags, nuff said.

Like virgin I'm also not a big fan of leather, though I wish I had heated seats.... one of these days I'll add them to my cloth seats. I wouldn't make the deal based on the leather or the bose.... even with it being a sp23. I mean they're rare, but you can get basically all of the options and more on a newer grand touring (except for the optional saddle brown leather and the carbon gray interior). You'd just have the novelty of the limited edition car.

Depding on which method you went with you'd probably be done with opening the dash, plugging in the aux unit, and running the cable in about 20 minutes. It's super easy.

No worries in the winter I will be running blizzaks.
With those and traction control the 07 would be a tank in the snow...:):)

thanks

virgin1 03-10-2008 06:12 PM

If it (the'05)is an SP23 it will also have BROWN leather, not black, and the standard 5-spoke 17" alloys of the day but in a brighter, almost chrome-likefinish.

And I agree that 23K doesn't indicate that it was driven hard, just a lot. Probably a lot of long distance highway driving.

Have you considered getting a CarFax sheet on these two cars?

GM991 03-10-2008 07:18 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

If it (the'05)is an SP23 it will also have BROWN leather, not black, and the standard 5-spoke 17" alloys of the day but in a brighter, almost chrome-likefinish.

And I agree that 23K doesn't indicate that it was driven hard, just a lot. Probably a lot of long distance highway driving.

Have you considered getting a CarFax sheet on these two cars?

Yes both have clean CarFax reports.

I don't think the other one is a SP23 now that you mention the brown leather
seats they are black so it must be a "S" with the leather seats options.

Just looks more and more like I found a good deal on an 07, maybe they are having a hard time selling it because it's not a popular color????

virgin1 03-10-2008 08:01 PM

Hey, for what it's worth to you, several of us here have that color (one sedan, one HB that I know of) and at least a few others (in the regulars crowd, including me) think it's hot!! If it were available back in '04 when I bought mine, and I didn't live in the sweltering heat of the Texas summer, I might have considered it then!!

You don't say which body typeyou are considering though?I KNOW you want a HB'cause they're better......:D:D:D

GM991 03-10-2008 08:14 PM

Hey, for what it's worth to you, several of us here have that color (one sedan, one HB that I know of) and at least a few others (in the regulars crowd, including me) think it's hot!! If it were available back in '04 when I bought mine, and I didn't live in the sweltering heat of the Texas summer, I might have considered it then!!

You don't say which body typeyou are considering though?I KNOW you want a HB'cause they're better......:D:D:D

LOL
HB all the way!!...:):)
I have the dealer down to $15,500 forthe 2007 S touring Automatic,23k miles.
what do you guys think good deal??
Should I pull the trigger? It seems to be a very good deal from what I can find on KBB and Edmunds.com
I'am starting to wonder if they are having a hard time selling it because of the color??

The more I look at it the better I like it!!...:):)

virgin1 03-10-2008 08:26 PM

Take that sucka' home, Dude!!

UrbanmanUSA 03-10-2008 09:20 PM

I have the 4 speed auto, it is tiptronic (has a manual shift gate). It gets the job done, admittedly not as driveable as the 5 speed, if you are going to be really into performance, you'd probably be better served by the 5 speed.

One thing about Mazda's heated seats is that they are either on or off (there is no adjustable thermostat, as there isin manycars with heated seatsthese days), many drivers feel this is a negative. I agree with Virgin's comments about leather feeling cold when its cold, and hot when its hot.

I test drove the 07 model, after drivingan 06, the handling of the 07 was noticeably better IMO - they did tweak the suspension for 07. And I bought the 07, which tells you what I thought.

I don't like the color black.Every little spec of road dust shows. My 2 cents.

Both the cars you are looking at have the 2.3, they'll burn more gas than an M3 with a 2.0.

icspots 03-10-2008 09:42 PM

Just a note on all those features. I'm not positive that this '07 has all of the features..... I'm pretty sure traction control and ABS became standard on all 3s models in '07, but not positive. Same with side airbags.

sp23's came with a choice of either black leather or saddle brown leather, not just the brown. The wheels are indeed a "high gloss" paint, but they're far from a chrome finish. Imagine the stock wheels only with a much deeper more reflective paint..... they're sexy. Again, if you're looking at a US 2005 Mz3 with the Bose stereo then it is a sp23 and is carbon gray. It will also have a "sp23" logo on the side in silver and red. If it's a 5-door then it will have LED tail lights.

Aside from the uniqueness of the sp23, HID headlights and the possibility of using a flip key on '06 and older models I would probably aim towards the '07. Oh yeah, you can also unlock the driver info. system (fancy trip computer) on the '07 3. Also like urbanman said the heated seats are either on/off.... you'd probably be happier with buying some aftermarket heaters and installing them yourself.

http://digiads.com.au/car-news/image..._794-img_0.jpg

jaimie08mazda3 03-10-2008 11:26 PM

most likely seeing as its an 07 someone leased it or something and basically drove highway alot. i do that and yea i rack up the KM's myself. go for the 07 better deal. and 1500 more hell man think about the resale value compared from an 05 to 07. thats 2 years difference. plus leather does suck. unlike cloth it is cold in mornings. and reeeeeeeeeal hot in the summer as everyone said. cloth it doesnt matter its nice anyday of the week. go for the 07. plus the phantom purple isnt bad at all. in fact a guy here has one.

GM991 03-11-2008 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

most likely seeing as its an 07 someone leased it or something and basically drove highway alot. i do that and yea i rack up the KM's myself. go for the 07 better deal. and 1500 more hell man think about the resale value compared from an 05 to 07. thats 2 years difference. plus leather does suck. unlike cloth it is cold in mornings. and reeeeeeeeeal hot in the summer as everyone said. cloth it doesnt matter its nice anyday of the week. go for the 07. plus the phantom purple isnt bad at all. in fact a guy here has one.

yes that's what I was told its off lease.
You are soooo right on the resale value 2 years is big!!
So you can get after market seat heaters for cloth seats??
What does that kit run? Have any of you guys installed it?

I def want to have them install the remote starter.
What should I pay for that from the dealer?

thanks

jaimie08mazda3 03-11-2008 08:54 AM

i havent done it but ive heard of people doing it. and you can get a remote starter from another place. the dealership will make you pay out the ass just for that. go get that done at like autozone or canadian tire. depending on where you live lol. yea its off lease so thats a good price for off lease!

GM991 03-11-2008 09:23 AM

i havent done it but ive heard of people doing it. and you can get a remote starter from another place. the dealership will make you pay out the ass just for that. go get that done at like autozone or canadian tire. depending on where you live lol. yea its off lease so thats a good price for off lease!
The thing with the remote start from the dealer is I don't have to pay for a key ($100) to go in the box under the dash and it would be covered by the warrenty...A good one (works when you are more than 20 feet away from the car) around here is about $400-$500 (that includes the cost of the key).

Is getting it off lease a good thing or a bad thing in your opinion??

jaimie08mazda3 03-11-2008 09:30 AM

a good thing. considering that it an 07 and its a HB and its 16k. GO FOR IT DUDE. you wont be dissapointed. it probably drove all highway. if that was city then i would be concerned but im pretty sure it isnt

icspots 03-11-2008 09:59 AM

thanks
A google search should turn up some results for you. Here's one example. Generally they'll run about $75-120 per side.

GM991 03-11-2008 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: icspots

thanks
A google search should turn up some results for you. Here's one example. Generally they'll run about $75-120 per side.

thanks for the info..:)

GM991 03-11-2008 10:12 AM

a good thing. considering that it an 07 and its a HB and its 16k. GO FOR IT DUDE. you wont be dissapointed. it probably drove all highway. if that was city then i would be concerned but im pretty sure it isnt
Yes I believe its highway.
they car went back and forth to NY from Boston.

I got them down to $15,500 by the way....:):):)

virgin1 03-11-2008 04:08 PM

You might doa little better, but in general my advice is to.... BUY IT!!!! :D:D:D You aren't likely to be sorry.

Stay w/the Mazda remote start. AM's can be trouble in these new fangled, computer controlled, modern cars and other membershave already complained about difficulties w/AM's. If you must have it, save yourself the trouble, spend a little more and get the one that's CORRECTLY designed for the car.

Seat heaters? Do you really need them? By the time you get in, start the car, turn on the heaters, you're all ready ready to go, so why bother? Your ass will do that work for you... unless the temps in your area regularly drops below 0*F, in which case you're gonna be dressed for it anyway... aren't you? I honestly don't see the point?

GM991 03-11-2008 07:16 PM

You might doa little better, but in general my advice is to.... BUY IT!!!! :D:D:D You aren't likely to be sorry.

Stay w/the Mazda remote start. AM's can be trouble in these new fangled, computer controlled, modern cars and other membershave already complained about difficulties w/AM's. If you must have it, save yourself the trouble, spend a little more and get the one that's CORRECTLY designed for the car.

Seat heaters? Do you really need them? By the time you get in, start the car, turn on the heaters, you're all ready ready to go, so why bother? Your ass will do that work for you... unless the temps in your area regularly drops below 0*F, in which case you're gonna be dressed for it anyway... aren't you? I honestly don't see the point?

LOL....LOL
Coming from a guy living in Texas...Yes up here in the northeast remote starter and heated seats are kind of nice when its 10-15 degrees out. I want to get the remote starter from the dealer so its covered under warrenty.

virgin1 03-11-2008 07:33 PM

Ummm. 'Guess you missed the post where I said I spent nearly 38 yrs of my life in north-eastern Pa, huh?;) (I knew I'd getcha' w/that one.) :D:D:D

Hey!!! You been lookin' @ my profile??? :)

icspots 03-11-2008 08:14 PM

^^ Maybe he's stalking you.

virgin1 03-11-2008 08:16 PM

*Uh-oh!!*

jaimie08mazda3 03-12-2008 12:21 AM

ahhh hmmm we are all stalking richard. we will find his mazda3 one day. anyway. 15 500 GO FOR IT DUDE. i payed 24000 for my car.. then again im in ontario... soo thats in canadian.. which is now more then american LOL. wow. but its true for us northerners those 2 options would be good. for me it doesnt matter my car starts no matter what. i came otuside when its like -25C and it started no problem. and the heated seats.. yea they would be good.. im actually considering buying a snowplow to put on front of my car for the winter LOL. would be sweeet.

GM991 03-12-2008 07:49 AM

LOL
No sorry to bum you out Virgin 1 not stocking you......:):)
Just made sure you weren't from a cold climate before I threw myjab about cold weather....ha ha ha

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this...:)
I don't think I will find a better deal and once the warm weather starts
up again the car dealers sales usually start getting better for them.
Which means less wiggle room price wise for us...:)

TGM_6 03-12-2008 08:29 AM

Just keep in mind that there is going to be times when you are going to need to turn your TCS off when going up a snow-covered hill. I learned this from experience with mazda vehicles. Not only does my 6 take me to a dead-stop going up a hill but the 3 acts in the same manner. If I disengage my TCS, I can make it up the hill that is covered in snow at the expense of spinning my tires.

jaimie08mazda3 03-12-2008 09:58 AM

ohhh gm991 you are from the massachuchettes area ( i probably didnt spell it right but i had an ex from there) and thats only 8 hours away soo oyea you gotta get that snow we got saturday. not sure. but another investment is to get snow tires for your car. saved my life a bunch of times!

GM991 03-12-2008 11:23 AM

ohhh gm991 you are from the massachuchettes area ( i probably didnt spell it right but i had an ex from there) and thats only 8 hours away soo oyea you gotta get that snow we got saturday. not sure. but another investment is to get snow tires for your car. saved my life a bunch of times!
LOL
I can't remember when I last spelled it out...Its just MA to me....:):)

Funny you mentioned snow tires I have a quistion for you.
I have 15" Blizzaks I bought a year ago that I'm keep when I trade in my other car.
What/were should I be looking for 15" rims for my 3

I did the calculation about going from 205/50/17 to 205/60/15 and there is less them 2% difference so they will work.
Didn't the sedan 3i come with stock 15's?
Here is the tire calculator...pretty cool
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

PS
I put a deposit on the car.....:):):)...Getting it monday!!!

GM991 03-12-2008 11:47 AM

I have a picture of my car
How do you attach a picture??
Do I have to have it on one of those pictures hosting sights?

silversrtshadow 03-12-2008 01:12 PM

When you are adding a post click the add image button on the tool bar. It is the one that is yellow and looks like a mountain post card with a stamp on it. Then just browse to your image and add it it will then display in the post.

Good Luck.

GM991 03-12-2008 02:27 PM

tried that and it wants an url of were the picture is.
I guess I need to put the pic on a picture hosting site??

TGM_6 03-12-2008 02:28 PM

tried that and it wants an url of were the picture is.
I guess I need to put the pic on a picture hosting site??
when you click reply to post, it should have a link that you can click that says "Click here to upload!". Once you choose your file, click the embed in post button and you are good to go!