Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

New 2014 - smells of electronics burning, unfastened rear seats, and other nitpicks

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Default New 2014 - smells of electronics burning, unfastened rear seats, and other nitpicks

Howdy,

I just took deliver yesterday of a 2014 5-door i Grand Touring Mazda3, and I thought I'd jump in to see if I get any feedback/thoughts on these things -- maybe someone else has also experienced them.

While sitting in the car last night and the engine running (gonna' try it tonight with just the ACC on), I started to notice the very distinctive odor of electronics burning up, and it continued through today while driving it. Obviously going back to the dealer about this, but I thought it would interesting to see if any other 2014 owners have experienced this.

Also, the Navigation in this thing SUCKS -- specifically, the audio quality of the voice guidance. In every other vehicle I've been in with Navigation, the volume of music is significantly reduced during voice guidance interjections, which are typically played through ALL of the vehicle's speakers, and the voice is clear. In my 3, music volume seems to be only moderately reduced, while voice guidance interjections are played only through the front left speaker. I'm not sure if the single-speaker configuration is completely to blame, but I'm sure it doesn't help with the muffled, "low talker" quality of the voice guidance audio. Has anyone else noted this? I'm not sure if it's just my vehicle, or a known problem with some, but it sure is annoying as hell.

As for the rear seats, has anyone else noticed that the far ends of the seat bottoms appear to be almost completely unfastened?! W.T.F? Pull up just a bit on the outside of your rear seat bottom cushions (but not too hard!), and they'll come right up -- not a half-inch, either, but several inches, revealing a huge, gaping, "Hi. I'm not fastened at all, to anything!" smile. Wow. Really? My Forester's rear seats didn't do this, and my mom's 2013 Elantra GT's rear seats aren't like this, either. I was just like..."WOOOWWWWW..." :-/

Nitpicks:

1) The dealer threw in several accessories, one of which was the cargo net. First, I was expecting something similar to the rear cargo net that I had in my 2004 Subaru Forester, not some "stick it to the cargo floor" thingamajig. Not very practical. Second, I find it a little ridiculous that Mazda3s don't come equipped with d-rings for the hooks. This, too, is an "accessory" required for the aforementioned accessory. Seriously? Dealer apparently didn't know this, either, because they didn't bother to install the latter, required "accessory." :-/

2) I really wish Mazda had the roof rack with crossbars available when they started shipping the cars; it would have been nice to have negotiated them into the deal, but none of the dealers I spoke with had pricing on them because they haven't yet made it into their systems (they're listed as an optional accessory on the specifications page at SUVs, Crossover Vehicles, Hatchbacks, Sports Cars, New Cars | Mazda USA, though).

While these are two nitpicks, certainly, I really feel like Mazda could have done a better job of making the 5-door a bit more utilitarian out the gate by including certain features as standard (d-rings for things like cargo nets) and having other accessories available at release. I get that they're marketing the 3 as a "driver's car," but most buying a 5-door are looking to get a bit more practicality out of their purchase than those buying the sedan -- at least I would think...

Just my $.02.

Oh yeah -- and would a retractable cargo cover (even a cheap one!) have killed them? Not available at all...even as an accessory. I KNOW this isn't a Forester, but it IS an otherwise VERY nice hatchback. Sheesh....

Old 10-14-2013, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

How many km/miles has it done? The burning smell is most likely the anti-rust spray that they spray on the exhaust at the factory. By all means visit your dealership to be 100% certain.

Manufactures are always rushing to get cars to market. Accessories are often a second thought.

On most cars the rear seat base will have locating hooks at the rear and two detachable clips/catches on the front. Still full secure.

Do they not even had a solid parcel tray like the BL series?

Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 AM

Yes, I had an electric burning smell too on my 2014 M3s GT when I bought it 3weeks ago. And dealership told me it is normal and will disappear. After driving about 40 miles it disappeared. I am more concerned about the navigation glitch. That problem really gets on my nerves. Everyday!!!

And I definitely agree with the loose backseat. Mine is leather seat and thus I assume that the seat should fit more rigidly than cloth models. But on my first days of driving, I had bad rattling noises under the back seat. And I couldn't figure out what the reason could be because there's just wheels under the backseat. And I noticed the backseat is loose and kinda pushed it down to see if it will sit in. And after that I don't hear the rattle anymore. But yes, the backseats are not properly mounted on 2014 M3 It looks more like they just tied the seat with a coupe of velco cable ties.

Last edited by wts3849; 10-19-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:57 AM

I bought a 2014 iTouring hatch about a month ago. I've had none of those issues, or any issues for that matter.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Default Update

So I took the car to the dealer and had them check things out. Here's what transpired:

- On the rear seats thing: The service manager looked at it and agreed that it definitely should NOT be like that. We checked several other 3s (both sedans and 5-doors), and they were ALL this way. Since none of the other models at the dealer seem to have this issue, they opened a case with Mazda corporate regarding a quality concern. I highly suggest that anyone experiencing this issue also visit their dealer and request the same be done so that it gets Mazda's attention. While I really like the vehicle, this kind of oversight is completely unacceptable.

- Regarding the navigation system: I took two other 3s for a drive to test out their systems, and both worked identically to the system in mine; however, the systems in the CX-5s and 6s do NOT work this way. As expected, in the CX-5 and the 6, music volume is reduced in all speakers and the voice guidance is clearer and can be heard through ALL of the audio system's speakers. I expect that if enough people call them out on this less-than-ideal implementation, Mazda will tweak things and issue an update to the 3's system. I've already started working on an email to Mazda and urge others to do the same.

One other note on the navigation system: I always notice a minor "pop" or "tick" with the beep at each instance of voice guidance. I know I'm particular, but this just makes things feel all the less polished than I'd expect (given the interior).

Not related to the navigation system: I've also noticed that when streaming from my iPhone 5 via Bluetooth, the audio "hiccups" randomly. While I originally thought it was because my phone's reception was down to 2-3 bars, I was still connected to an LTE network and, if played through my phone, audio doesn't cut out -- at all. It only cuts out when connected to my Mazda. In fact, I can stream "high quality" to a Logitech BT receiver connected to my home Denon receiver with only 2 bars of LTE without any hiccups.

- About the burning smell: Though it's been over 350 miles, I still smell it, but it's not as strong or as frequent, so it finally seems to be going away.

Another thing I pointed out that the dealer noted: The rear hatch seems to be slightly shimmied to the left (standing at the back of the car), as the gap between the back-glass and the upper rear quarter panel on the right side of the car is considerably larger than it is on the left. Not sure if the two are related, but I've also noticed a few times that, even though the rear hatch appears to be closed, the "door ajar" indicator is lit up on the dash. If I open the hatch and close it again, it goes away. *sigh*

On the plus side:

The car is SUPER comfortable (the seats are amazing), and it's a dream to drive. Though I opted to go with the i GT, the car has plenty of pick-up. The interior is just really, really nice, and while the body style still looks a bit wonky to me from certain angles, it's really growing on me. The front end and back end just look SOOOOO good. Any the 3/4 perspectives are pretty hot, too. It's the straight-on side profile that leaves me a little "meh." Oh...and I filled up for the first time and did the math: 334 miles (95% city driving) with only 10.5 gallons = 32 MPG! Coming from a vehicle that required premium and only got ~18-20, I've got to say: Those numbers sure put a smile on my face.

Last edited by koneill; 10-21-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:51 PM

I've been a little less happy with the mileage myself. I'm coming from a 2008 Mazda 3 with the 2.0L MZR engine. I got about 33-35 mpg combined routinely. With the 2014 Mazda 3 the best I've gotten has been about 31.8. But it's new. I'm giving it time and it has gradually done better as I keep driving it, so we'll see.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:50 PM

I also got the wacky and strong burn smell throught the first miles! Sometimes it felt like clutch burning. More than 500 km / 250 miles and I still have a minor burn plastic scent.

I did go very gently on the car so far. I never had this kind of problem with my other 3 new cars.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Talking Burning smell

Just drove my Mazda3 2014 GT Sedan to home from the dealer and I noticed the burning smell too. I guess I will wait to conclude my findings.. More coming soon.

P.S. I have even emailed the dealership owner as I know him to advise on this. I will update all once they revert to my email.

I am new to mazda owner and look forward to share my experience and gain some knowledge from all of your posts now and here onwards... Zoom Zoom Everyone

Old 12-03-2013, 07:29 PM

I have noticed the burning smell too its seems to be lessening a little after having the car for about a week

Old 12-31-2013, 10:18 AM

2014 M3 iTouring sedan in white pearl: I was relieved this morning to hear of others smelling the burning smell. After returning home from town, I smelled a 'hot' smell, especially from under the hood, but I presumed it was only from only hot new plastics. Yesterday, I returned from a 400-mile drive through the hills in 20-degree cold, and smelled a similar smell again, but near the rear of the car. Let's say it was the catalytic converter getting good and hot during the trip and heating nearby shield, okay?! Although the idea of rust-proofing paint seems credible, I suspect that heat shields are unpainted aluminum. I'll stick to the idea of new plastics curing and sniff carefully.

Meanwhile, the car drove like a dream. I had a 2006 M3i and bought a 2007 M3i for the wife. Those two cars totaled 170,000 miles with no more service than what i could do in the garage. 34 mpg reliably in town (no stop-n-go) and 38 mpg reliably on highways. My wife holds the record of 44 mpg in mid-Summer on flat land, both in Mississippi and now in Idaho. I've used them both for towing either my sailboat (about 1600 lb, with 40 lb on the tongue) or a utility trailer made from a '53 Ford axle (rarely loaded to over 1500 lb. total). Mileage fell to 25 mpg while towing my sailboat loaded with some furniture and too much stuff across the Rockies (broke a leaf spring on the boat trailer due to overloading), but the 2006 Mazda just kept on ticking.

No wonder to me that I bought another and gave the '06 to my daughter...

Quick Reply: New 2014 - smells of electronics burning, unfastened rear seats, and other nitpicks