Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Need help fast!! Limp shifter!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 04:48 AM
Question Need help fast!! Limp shifter!!

Hello everybody new here and had my mazda for about a month has 13xk miles bought it knowing it needed new struts(done). Today I drove around almost all day without a hiccup, untill on my way home I take off from a stop sign go to shift into 2nd and let the clutch out an wahla I'm still in first, the shifter is as limp as can be but only move around 1-4 and won't move to 5&r like something blocking it!!!!now hers the catch I ran over a mid sized branch with a bit of thick twigs Laying in the alley literally like 5 lbs n 3 ft long could barely even see it but it got hung up under the car, don't know if it had anythig to do with it didn't make any loud noises like a linkage breaking am just looking for advise on things to look for in a few hours ima go check the link ends on the trans and I am hoping I can get a reply befor I start on taking the console out. Or does somebody think it's something different.. Oh yea I got the car with no down payment so let's pray for the best cuz I still have 10 months left on it any advice at all would be highly appreciative I love this little thing

Old 10-19-2014, 12:08 PM

It has 2 shift cables that run from the shifter to the transmission. I would check under the hood first as it is easiest to see. It is not uncommon for the plastic ends of the cables to break. If your lucky you can find aftermarket ends to replace a broken one in the help isle of most parts stores. I would bet the problem is under the console though. You can likely effect a temporary repair to get you around until you find a more permanent fix. I would leave the console off until then if that is the case.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:22 PM

I just got it off moments ago appreciate the reply it was the cable that actually changed the gears it's snapped off at the trans right were the braided meets the steel have you Hurd of anyone rigging it like that I was thinking flip the cord around n clamp it so at least the Long end is in the cab. I saw a guy doin it with just the cord. And is dealer really the only place to get complete piece? Soo excited it wasn't transmission issues

Old 10-19-2014, 12:32 PM

You could probably rig it temporary. I would not count on it being a permanent fix though. Those are on Ebay.