Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

My Mazdaspeed 3 almost caught on fire.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:09 AM
Default My Mazdaspeed 3 almost caught on fire.

So I am coming home from the store when all the sudden I smell burning electrical or brakes and I think to myself...wait I didn't slam on my brakes or anything...and out of the corner of my eye my dash lights (Where the A/C and what not are) begin to lose power, gain power, etc as if it is getting a power spike. So the flashing gets worse and worse, smell goes away, smell gets worse and worse...I get home and turn the car off and there is that STRONG smell again when I get out of the car...I was like...well **** it if it's gonna go up in flames it's gonna go up in flames but luckily it didn't. This all happened in a matter of 3 minutes.

Anyone else experience this?

Old 11-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Default RE: My Mazdaspeed 3 almost caught on fire.

no.. thats scary bro... you talked to the dealership bout this?

Old 11-28-2007, 12:27 PM

were u punching it? was ur heat left on?

Old 11-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

OUCH!~!~!~! That is scary.

By chance, you didn't forget to drop the parking brake all the way did you? I know I have occasionally forgotten to make sure it was completely off... not in this car, but others I've owned.

Had you just done an oil change, or tranny fluid, etc? Check your power steering fluid level too.

I would try to remember exactly where all the settings in the car were when you smelled the burning smell. Ten try to recreate it and see what happens.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:27 PM

the e brake sounds believable... it really stinks up the car when left up (not that i did it in my car; it was done on my friends evo lol)

Old 11-28-2007, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

OUCH!~!~!~! That is scary.

By chance, you didn't forget to drop the parking brake all the way did you? I know I have occasionally forgotten to make sure it was completely off... not in this car, but others I've owned.

Had you just done an oil change, or tranny fluid, etc? Check your power steering fluid level too.

I would try to remember exactly where all the settings in the car were when you smelled the burning smell. Ten try to recreate it and see what happens.

Believe me. That is one of the first things I check. I checked the e-brake, turned the lights off then on, but I didn't want to turn the car off then on again because there is a tiny surge of power when you start a car so I didn't want to throw MORE power at it.

The car seems to be fine now...I just want to know what the lower dash lights are ALSO fused with...

Old 11-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

[sm=icon_rtfm.gif]Or in this case, thefuse box cover?[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 11-28-2007, 04:44 PM

thats scary dude. the e-brake is a problem. in fact my friend did that with his civic. it smelled really bad.. and he had to replace the whole drums on the rear..

Old 11-28-2007, 08:10 PM

i have a sensitive nose where i can smell things right away before anyone...

but.. there were a few times where i parked in my driveway after driving home from schooll... i smell burning rubber? like i wasn't driving fast or did anything to hurt my wheels... i'm not sure where this smell came from,but i am assuming my tires?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 PM

maybe you should stop burning out. im kidding. i have never smelt a burning smell except when i was first learning to drive my car... which was the clutch because i sucked hahaha

Quick Reply: My Mazdaspeed 3 almost caught on fire.