Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazdaspeed3 mods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:14 AM
Default Mazdaspeed3 mods?

Hey guys, I just registered on here because I'm going to be getting a new Speed3 in a week or so. I am really, really pumped. I sawa few posts of people being flamed for asking about mods for the car, so you can save that...I don't need to hear it I'm a firefighter and have seen my share of splattered idiots in accidents.

I'm looking to add maybe an easy, or affordable 50 hp...I just wanna add a little but of zip to my new ride and give it a little customization. Plus I need the bragging rights to hopefully have a faster car than my brothers all stock, all show and no go Mustang GT!! I could afford to drop a little over 1000 on mods right away, but the cheaper the better! Like I said I'm not looking for much over 50hp, but wouldn't be opposed to 75 if it happened...I know exhaust is an option, if so, I don't want to obtain that "ricer" sound or make it very loud.

Thanks for the input in advance!

Old 05-07-2007, 04:52 AM
Default RE: Mazdaspeed3 mods?

exhaust is important on a turbocharged car. the turbo needs to get exhaust pressure to spool, so the less restrictive the exhaust, the better. you could also drop in a cool air intake kit to let it flow from the other end. next step would be something along the lines of boost control, exhaust manifold, fuel and engine management, etc. i would say that if you did the following mods, you would be close to the 50 hp goal.

exhaust manifold, cool air intake, turbo back exhaust, and boost control.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:42 PM

Or you can go the the easiest way of them all and replace the turbocharger and get a higher psi one (Something like 16-19 psi) and you'll be getting about 350 hp with ALL stock parts (minus the turbo, mind you). The only thing is though it's a $2,500 turbo upgrade. Cheapest would obviously be what wsoape281 said... Intake, exhaust, ECU chip or boost control (I strongly suggest AEM).

As for ricer sounding, just don't get a straight pipe. I'd most likely wait for the better known companies like Magnaflow and Borla to get their(which all sound amazing), but I do believe they've got some nice aftermarket cat-back exhaust kits.

PS: Quick question and I didn't want to post a new topic, where can I get a catalogue of Mazda factory performance parts?

Old 05-07-2007, 11:11 PM

mine was mailed to me, and it was on a cd....

but you can always check out the website
www.mazda.com
then go to the mazda3 section, then the mazdaspeed accessories section...

Old 05-08-2007, 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: TMR Net Shark

Or you can go the the easiest way of them all and replace the turbocharger and get a higher psi one (Something like 16-19 psi) and you'll be getting about 350 hp with ALL stock parts (minus the turbo, mind you). The only thing is though it's a $2,500 turbo upgrade. Cheapest would obviously be what wsoape281 said... Intake, exhaust, ECU chip or boost control (I strongly suggest AEM).

As for ricer sounding, just don't get a straight pipe. I'd most likely wait for the better known companies like Magnaflow and Borla to get their(which all sound amazing), but I do believe they've got some nice aftermarket cat-back exhaust kits.

PS: Quick question and I didn't want to post a new topic, where can I get a catalogue of Mazda factory performance parts?
I read somewhere that the MS3 is already getting 16PSI. So why spend money on a different one pumping the same PSI?

Old 05-08-2007, 01:52 AM

That's 16 psi max probably... so more like 14 psi at redline, wouldn't you say?

This is about 19 psi at max and about 16 psi at redline.

I could be wrong though, the turbo upgrade could be more psi than I though, I just emailed the people and they said 350 hp with the turbo. Thats less than 100 hp more than stock so I'm assuming the numbers. Actually, I looked up on the site, it says effective up to 22 psi, BUT it was it was tested on the MS6. Same engine though? The 3 is just lighter...

Linkage:

http://www.turbo-kits.com/mazdaspeed3_turbo_kits.html

first one.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:57 AM

i think that it's the MS6 that is pushing 16 psi at something like 4500 rpms stock. with the lag that the MS3 has, i would say that it is probably pushing around 10-12 psi stock. that is, if it has a metal turbo and not a ceramic one.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:20 PM

I got the car yesterday...what an AWESOME car. It's effortless to drive, and zips around so easily. I love how you barely need to give this car any RPM to move about the roads with ease.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:25 PM

I put a boost gauge on my speed3, the highest I got is 8psi and that's with full throttle

Old 05-08-2007, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: mazdasleep3

I put a boost gauge on my speed3, the highest I got is 8psi and that's with full throttle
That's because at redline you don't get the most psi. It's usually where you get the most HP. (And I believe that is about 5500 rpm)

Quick Reply: Mazdaspeed3 mods?