Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 shifter knob

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Default Mazda3 shifter ****

I just bought a 2008 Mazda3 and wanted to change the shifter ****. I have been on every web sight and in every store and none of them fit like the factory ****. Can anyone help me or have any suggestions?

edit, 10/15/08: Well I have tried every shifter **** out there with every adapter and still they do not work. The shaft is threaded so the adapters they ive you keep spinning in place. I also orderd from gomiata.com a aluminum threaded adaptor that would of worked but is fitted for a miata. Someone please help, there has to be a way to switch this stupid shifter ****.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Mazda3 shifter ****

TWM has screw on *****, but they are all metal.
http://www.twmperformance.com/

Old 10-06-2008, 02:01 PM

ebay

Old 10-06-2008, 03:59 PM

Alot of aftermarket ***** that I have seen are available with an adapter, which has two set screws that tighten to your threads. Then the **** screws to that.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Well this is not a very good picture of it, but the only one I have. Here's mine.

Name:  Picture003W-1.jpg
Views: 2503
Size:  37.5 KB

It's a universal made by Pilot Performance (Auto Zone/Wal-Mart,) not terribly expensive. I wanted to try it because I liked the way it felt (and still do) andit isa bit heavier than the OE I had on before. It mounts using a plastic bushing inside and set screws at the base that arecovered by a screw-twist on ring.
I can't say that I highly recommend it but until something else comes along that I like better, I'll keep it.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL DJROCKDAHOUZ:
Well I have tried every shifter **** out there with every adapter and still they do not work. The shaft is threaded so the adapters they ive you keep spinning in place. I also orderd from gomiata.com a aluminum threaded adaptor that would of worked but is fitted for a miata. Someone please help, there has to be a way to switch this stupid shifter ****.
There should be no problem here. A Miata has the same threads as a 3 series. They should both be a 10mm x 1.25 (fine) thread.
Barring that, an AM w/set screws,like I show above on mine, will fit ANYTHING!!
Do you have the automatic? Is that the problem?

Old 10-16-2008, 03:17 PM

Yes I do have the automatic Mazda 3 I really have tried everything and the adapter from gomiata which was threaded was to big for the shaft it slid right down. I dont know what to do.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Ahhhh.... a horse of a different color. No wonder you are having such problems.
You will no doubt need to measure the head of the shift lever for diameter and thread pitch. My guess is that you"ll find it to be around and 8mm x 1-1.25 thread.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 PM

Thats funny you say that, I went to ace and got 8mm x 1-1.25 thread nuts and used the adaptor that fit, and bolted the nut at the bottom of the **** so it does not turn, thanks for the help though i really appreciate it.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:35 PM

Well my idea didnt work with the nut at the bottom. It almost did though. By any chance do you any place that would sell shifter ***** that have 8mm x 1-1.25 thread.

Quick Reply: Mazda3 shifter knob