Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 i Sport Features

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Default Mazda3 i Sport Features

I'm looking into getting a Mazda3 i Sport, but I haven't seen any in person aside from the i Touring so I have a couple of questions.

What does the steering wheel look like if it is not leather wrapped?
Does it just look like plain plastic that has no grip?

I'm aware it doesn't come with bluetooth hands-free calling but does that mean you can't play music from your phone via bluetooth?

What do the wheels (or wheel covers) look like?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Ex.

Having driven both the 2012 S Touring (for two weeks) and the i Sport (currently own), I can give you some insight. The steering wheel has a grip texture, but is plastic. The stock head unit doesn't support Bluetooth calling or Bluetooth anything for that matter. You will have to get an aftermarket one. The wheel covers look pretty average (Google for a picture), but they don't do a good job of concealing the steel wheels. The iSport is pretty much a bare bones model, but that isn't so bad. When I went to buy my new Mazda, I tried to get the S Touring, but I couldn't make the loan and I wasn't willing to jump through the hoops the dealership wanted me to to get it. I wound up getting the i Sport. I've done a lot of research, and the vast majority of features the the Touring/Grand Touring trim levels have can be added to the i Sport easily. For example, the interior ambient lighting, cruise control, a Bluetooth compatible (and overall better) head unit, etc. Another example, the wiring for the stock tweeters is already done, and you can spend less than $50 to get the factory tweeters with the sail panels.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the response.
I just have a few more questions. Do you have a picture of the steering wheel and AUX support is a standard feature right? I'm starting to really lean towards the i Touring, but it's out of my budget.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Ex.

AUX is standard. The AUX port is located under the armrest compartment, which is the same on all the trim levels. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it. I would suggest pushing for the i Touring (SkyActiv). The extra HP and mileage gain is worth the difference in cost IMO. If you're going to mod though, I wouldn't get the i Touring since the SkyActiv engine isn't receptive to mods, from what I've heard. That's why I went with the i Sport.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:38 AM

I appreciate it. I look forward to seeing your pic tomorrow.
Perhaps I should go for the i Touring, the only thing is that the i Sport is only $14,988 now at my local dealership. If the i Touring had a significant sale, perhaps after the 2013 models come out I may go for it. I'm not looking to mod the car at the time being, although... the extra hp and torque from the i Touring would be appreciated. I'll have to look into this more.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Ex.

Pictures attached as requested. About the wheel material, when I said plastic, I meant plastic vinyl, or "pleather". Having driven with both this and a real leather wheel, the difference is noticeable, but it doesn't feel too plasticky.

Attached Thumbnails Mazda3 i Sport Features-steering-wheel.jpg   Mazda3 i Sport Features-wheel-texture.jpg  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:10 AM

Thanks Ex.
It doesn't seem as bad as I thought it was. I originally thought it was the same plastic from somewhere like the dashboard. (Which is what the base 2005 Suzuki Forenza has...)

Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Ex.

That's because it's a Suzuki.

Last edited by Ex.; 05-08-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 PM

Are there any other cars in the price range that have a manual shift mode?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Ex.

Worth driving? Subaru Impreza, Honda Civic, Ford Focus. All fall between 15-17 grand.

EDIT: and the VW Jetta.

Last edited by Ex.; 05-09-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Mazda3 i Sport Features