Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda Speed 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Default Mazda Speed 3

I'll be buying a 2007 Mazda Speed 3 soon and I was wondering how good this car will be in the aftermarket community. I already know that they have a turbo charger for it to get the car's HP to 450 with forged pistons, new cams, etc. I was wondering more along the lines of an aftermarket spoiler, CAI, dual cat-back exhaust, etc.

What do you all think?

Old 05-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Default RE: Mazda Speed 3

Another person wanting to upgrade the already perfect car...I'm not even going to ask Why or how old you are...

Are you planning on drag racing the car? Are you planning on AutoXing it? Are you going to race it on the street like an idiot? Are you going to compromise other peoples lives?

To answer your questions...yes there is a CAI, yes there is a new exhaust, yes they do come from Mazda, I am sure there will be a bigger/ricier spoiler...I am sure there will be upgraded cams, turbo maps, ecu, etc...

Old 05-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Why would you need to buy a turbo charger or forged pistons for a car that already comes with them?

Old 05-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Whoa, whoa, whoa guys. I think you guys are misunderstanding the original question. He is stating that he knows bigger turbos and forged pistons are on the market,not that he wants to go that route.

He's only asking if exhaust, CAI's and other bolt-ons are or will become available.
I agree w/your concerns Draconius, but I don't think that's what he's asking.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:45 AM

I liked to first state that no car is perfect. Not even the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 MR FQ-400. I know that the Mazda Speed 3 is a great car, but there are improvements with aftermarket mods. All the original parts in the 3 is only capable of 350 hp (with a new Turbo). I was just wondering about the exhaust and CAI. But thank you very much!

And why would my age matter? And assume that I would compromise other people's lives? Ever thought that I just might be making this car into a showroom car that is upgraded with mods which car enthusiasts would like to see? In all honesty, I believe your intentions were right to suspect me of doing things like that, but it's ok.

The car will be something to show off then sell a couple years later.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:16 AM

Yo shark,

Bro don't worry about the bit of over judgement from Drac. lol. Well, of course there are/will be a ton of aftermarket stuff for this car. In all honesty, I think 350 hp in this car is more than enough for street and autocrossing. If you are talking about a true "race car" well that is another story. I have always found that ANY CAR can be made about as fast as your wallet allows.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:21 PM

Only problem I'm worrying about is the trans-axle... I've heard stories when people have put 500 hp into a transaxle and completely ripped everything apart. But then again... doesn't the Evo's all have trans-axles along with their 4WD?

Old 05-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, but built to handle the extra torque.
I'd be careful just how far you go w/hp... especially if this will be your daily driver. 'Don't want to make it TOO unreliable for the occassional blip, not to mention the potential for more unwanted attention and tickets, do you?

Old 05-06-2007, 02:52 PM

Shark, go ahead do what you wanna do. why not, right? Cobb tuning.com is also developing an accessport for it. put turbo back, headers and all those other things to make the pipes bigger. change flywheel. If you ask me I'd change my turbo to a bigger one when it's available and if I have funds. For now all I have is CAI, motor mountand turbo timer with boost gauge. Good luck with your mods and take it to the track not on the street.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

Yes, but built to handle the extra torque.
I'd be careful just how far you go w/hp... especially if this will be your daily driver. 'Don't want to make it TOO unreliable for the occassional blip, not to mention the potential for more unwanted attention and tickets, do you?
Mmmm, I don't know how I'm going to replace the trans-axle, but I've heard that in the Speed 3, it limits the torque and hp to 230. Is this true?

And trust me, I'm smarter than that to go 60 in a 25. I don't even plan to go over 5,500 all that much (only at tracks of course!).

Quick Reply: Mazda Speed 3