Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 starts with remote, not with key

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:14 PM
Default Mazda 3 starts with remote, not with key

Hi all

I have a 2013 Mazda 3 GT with factory remote start and switchblade key. For the past few weeks/ months, if I start the car with the remote and the car shuts off from either running for 10 min or opening the car door, it won't restart with the key. It will restart with the remote. It will restart with the key after some time but could be a few minutes. It just cranks over and over with the key.

I brought it to Mazda and they said it was the battery and it would cost $200 to replace. I didn't trust this diagnosis and tried a different battery but no luck. To me it's a security system issue but not sure how to correct it. For my Mazda dealer to suggest it's the battery makes me think they are not really trying to diagnose the problem carefully. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 03-15-2016, 09:33 PM

Unfortunately, you know exactly what you 3 is doing but the narrative is vague to someone not there.

Starts with remote, 10 min time out or open door. That part is good, working normal.
Key, motor cranks over but won't start. That's what I'm getting correct?
Security light on dash, blinking with key in off position? One blink every 5-7 sec? Since it's cranking, I'm assuming the security light is off while cranking or is it flashing rapidly?

Did you try to remote start the vehicle while in it, put the key in the ignition and turn it to run, then step on the brake? Stepping on the brake in remote start mode shuts the vehicle down. If the key is in the run position when you step on the brake, the key side of the system should take over and remain running.

If you try to remote start with either the door open or key in ignition, it wont start. If the remote, then key on keeps motor running, your problem will be on the crank side of the ignition. $200 dollar battery? ah, no.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:44 AM
Default Start issues that happens sometimes

I have a similar problem with my Mazda 3 2006

Usually it works when I´m cold starting. Some warm days after driving longer distances it cranks over but won´t start. Then I leave the car about 20-30 minutes and after that it works.

Do you have any idea about it?