Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 pedal problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:21 AM
Default Mazda 3 pedal problem

So I am very close to committing to buying a Mazda3 HB Grand Touring, test drove it a couple of nights ago and was very impressed with 'almost' everything about the car. I am 6'4' and was pleasantly surprised at the front seat legroom (at the expense of the rear seat I guess!). However, I am concerned about the very tight space between the right edge of the brake pedal and the wall of the center console. I found I had to hold my foot in amore upright position than I usually do to hit the gas without catching the brake pedal (although I was wearing fairly wide shoes). I've seen some comments on this in other forums but couldnt find a thread here. Is there any fix for this? I found some alternative aluminum 'sport' pedals online that look like they might be smaller and thus afford more clearance.

I guess I'll test drive again before I buy, but any advice on this would be appreciated....

Old 05-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Default RE: Mazda 3 pedal problem

yea i have the same problem. i am nowhere as tall as u but i occasoinally find myself hitting the brake when im jus cruisin. i was thinking about shaving off some of the brake a lil instead of buying a whole new set.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:41 PM

The center console is a little fat in the M3, for some drivers it does get in the way. I have heard this comment from more than a couple of people. For me, it is not an issue at all. But if you are someone for whom it is an issue, think carefully before buying.

I'm a believer in the idea that if you don't love the car out of the gate, you ain't gonna love it more later. In fact, there is a strong probability you'll just getincreasingly annoyed with whatever bugged you in the beginning.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

I have to agree with all of Urbanman'sstatements, though some things you can learn t live with...if you love the car in the first place. It was this way w/me and my okd Civic. It wasn't built w/me in mind, but I was able to modify it and live with what was already there because I loved the car.
I don't have much problem w/the console and love the pedal placement, and I wear a size 12!!
I find it's perfect for me for heel/toe, though I have installed AutoVation Tech aluminum pedals (see pic... if I can get it to upload) that actually bring the gas pedal up since it's on top of the original, and closer to the brake since it's wider.

Name:  AVTPedals.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  23.1 KB

Old 05-18-2007, 10:02 PM

I also have the same problem if I wear shoes that are wide like heavly cushioned tennis shoes. I now try to wear a thinner shoe to prevent the problem. I like the pedals above, that sure would cure the problem. Were they difficult to install? I have an atuo so no need for the clutch pedal, is there a kit for automatics? Cost?
Jim

Old 05-19-2007, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.autovationparts.com/store/Mazda3.html

I have the machined series and love 'em. They are very grippy and bolt on, replacing the stock rubber pads. W/an auto they should be even easier, but youwill have to drill the brake pedal. Except for the holes, it's a completely reversable mod should you not like the outcome.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

http://www.autovationparts.com/store/Mazda3.html

I have the machined series and love 'em. They are very grippy and bolt on, replacing the stock rubber pads. W/an auto they should be even easier, but youwill have to drill the brake pedal. Except for the holes, it's a completely reversable mod should you not like the outcome.

Thanks!!
Jim

Old 05-19-2007, 04:14 PM

I just went out and looked at the pedals in my car, the brake pedal is bigger than in the pics above, it's rectangular shaped. I pulled the rubber pad off, it comes right off. That gave me another 1/4-1/3 of an inch, although it's just a bare black metal pedal now. In the summer, I don't think there will be a problem with slipping off the pedal. In the winter and wet feet from rain, it may but I can always just put the rubber pad back on.
Jim