Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 Advice..

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 04:09 AM
Default Mazda 3 Advice..

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a used daily drive first-gen Mazda 3 (most likely around 2006-2008) I'd prefer the 2.3L but the budget might only allow for the 2.0L model, and definitely want manual (unless auto is highly recommended instead..).

What are some of the common problems with these models?

What should I particularly look for when doing an inspection?

I'll be looking at models with around 100,000km (60k miles) max (as I'll be clocking up a lot of miles due to work relocation, I don't want a high mileage car now). Are there things breaking down at particular mileage?

How does cooling system hold up in these models as they age (especially hot climate)? What's transmission like (manuals and auto)? Trouble with suspension/shocks/steering?

I did a lot of research but google seems to say they're relatively trouble free....any input from previous owners would be appreciated

PS I'm also considering first-gen Mazda 6 since they're around the same price for a used car.....any opinions??

Many thanks

Old 06-09-2019, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

With regular and complete maintenance these cars are very reliable. With any car over 10yrs of age things do wear out, nothing major, just wear & tear. Engine mounts, lower control arm bushes and sway bar links are common with age. I'm in QLD and haven't seen or heard of any cooling issues. Gearboxes and transmissions are fairly trouble free, as long as they are looked after and properly serviced. Mazda 6 is probably not quite as reliable as the the 3, but not far behind. I find the 2.0 ltr engine perfectly fine for this size car. American spec SP23 appear to be troublesome, not so the OZ or NZ spec SP23's.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:54 AM

At least here in North America, the 2.3 liter motor is well known for failing due to oil flow issues. The 2.0 has no such a reputation.

The good news relative to the 2.3 is that the Ford 2.5 Duratec engine is a virtual clone of the 2.3 but has some very significant internal upgrades relative to lubrication; said upgrades yield a more powerful and more robust engine. Better still, the swap from the 2.3 to 2.5 is pretty easy and has been done many-many times; the swap doesn't seem to be terribly popular on this forum, but there are lots of other sites which detail the process (basically swapping sensors and manifolds from the Mazda motor to the Ford motor).

Old 06-10-2019, 05:32 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help

Old 07-21-2021, 07:10 PM
D33
Default Mazda 3’s are awesome!

Hey there!

So I bought my Mazda 3 new in 2008 and it’s been awesome! I’ve put almost 330,000km on it and fingers crossed, it’s still running amazing. I have taken very good care and had all regular maintenance done as well as used fully synthetic oil from the start. I was told now that it’s older, I don’t need to do that anymore, but I find it runs better on it and the has mileage doesn’t noticeably drop when it’s due for its oil change so I will continue with synthetic. That being said, the gas mileage seems to have dropped a little, however, that could be due to driving shorter distances to work instead of the long commute I used to have. I replaced the clutch at 3 months shy of 10 years and other than regular things such as brakes, battery (Costco size 8) and air filters, I haven’t had to do anything else to it. Highly recommended 😊. I hope you find one or have found one already.

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a used daily drive first-gen Mazda 3 (most likely around 2006-2008) I'd prefer the 2.3L but the budget might only allow for the 2.0L model, and definitely want manual (unless auto is highly recommended instead..).

What are some of the common problems with these models?

What should I particularly look for when doing an inspection?

I'll be looking at models with around 100,000km (60k miles) max (as I'll be clocking up a lot of miles due to work relocation, I don't want a high mileage car now). Are there things breaking down at particular mileage?

How does cooling system hold up in these models as they age (especially hot climate)? What's transmission like (manuals and auto)? Trouble with suspension/shocks/steering?

I did a lot of research but google seems to say they're relatively trouble free....any input from previous owners would be appreciated

PS I'm also considering first-gen Mazda 6 since they're around the same price for a used car.....any opinions??

Many thanks[/QUOTE]