Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 2009 Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:41 PM
LPG
Default Mazda 3 2009 Review

I thought i would post a review on my new car for anyone who is interested in possibly getting a mazda 3 and needs to know an owners thoughts and criticisms. Mind you ive only had this car for a week, so these are my very first impressions and thoughts about the car and what can be done to make it even better.

The car i had prior to this was a Toyota Corolla LE 2007.

The first thing you should know is that im a very nervous driver, that being said i am a 26 year old that quite possibly drives like a 70 year old. But sometimes thats not such a bad thing.

The mazda that i purchased was a mazda 3 "Touring" Sedan. White outside, black inside cloth, with spoiler coming soon.

What i can tell you about this car, compared to my corolla, is that it is a dream. [8D]This car is much heavier, hugs the road 1000% better, handles 2000% better and i feel much more grounded in the mazda. The visibility factor from all points is also better as opposed to my corolla. I live in New york and i drove home today from long island 'IN HORRIBLE RAIN" and i felt safe and secure as a baby because of that fact this car is heavy, handles well, and hugs the road. Im normally a nervous wreck driving in the rain, but this car feels so solid and responsive and STABLE that i felt as if i were driving on a normal dry day that was free of rain. Love it love it love it. My corolla was unstable, not heavy, and when i drove on the parkway, it felt like it would take off and it would fishtail because it was so light. Not the case with this Mazda. its totally the opposite. Also it is the end of november so obviously im using the heating system. The heating system on this car IS VERY POWERFUL, almost too powerful.. it works very well and youll never freeze your tooshy off.

a couple of things that could be improved upon to quite possibly make this car 100% delightful to drive: (some of these things i thing you can find on the grand touring model) but you have to pay 2000 grand extra for them when i think they should be standard on every model.

-Daytime running lights.
-head lights that automatically turn on and off when you turn the car on and off
-all the doors should automatically lock when you shift out of park, and automatically unlock when you shift into park
-the window buttons and the door lock buttons should be illuminated (each individually)
-the radio and temperature controls should be positioned in the console in such a way that is easier to tinker with. (they are positioned in a not user friendly way)
-There should be a couple more compartments for storage, perhaps one underneath the dsc and dashboard illumination buttons that pulls down
-and if the radio and temperature consoles were repositioned and the ashtray compartment removed perhaps one or two storage compartments therethatpull out and downward like a mailbox.
-the way the interior is designed could stand a little more classy, fashionable upgrade.... the inside on the car is sort of cheap feeling. sort of.....
i guessi was used to the wood trim in my corolla.
-i would position the window and lock controls on the drivers side on an up angle instead of just flush flat, its not user friendly
-reposition the a/c, rear defrost, and air recirculation buttons somewhere more accessible on the temperature control panel than all the way along the bottom end of the panel where they are located (perhaps up near where the hazard lights button is located.)

Common mazda!!!! its all about ease of use. You got a 'great' lil car here, pay attention to the lil details to make it a'perfect' lil car. lets use our brains here, its not rocket science

Other than that im happy with the choice i made so far, ive only had the car a week so im keeping my fingers cross that i dont have a lemon or that nothing goes wrong with her. lol

Oh and by the way when they say "its a fun car to drive", IT REALLY IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. and thats coming from a person who doesnt care for driving too much.

Hopes this helps anyone who is contemplating getting one of these cars. If there is anything youd like me to elaborate on or discuss
Id be happy to try to help you out.

Peace
Louis

Old 11-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Default RE: Mazda 3 2009 Review

A couple of comments:
[ul][*]While the Mazda3 is heavier thanyour oldCorolla, the difference is less than 200 pounds (for the automatic versions, I'm assuming that you drive an automatic). That said, the Mazda3 does have a better suspension and that's what I suspect that you're feeling and why it feels like it might be heavier.[*]One of the reasons why I just bought a Mazda3 i Touring (two weeks ago) was because it DIDN'T force me to have Daytime Running Lights, geez I hate those things.[*]Another thing I like about the Mazda3 is that it doesn't have those insanely annoying "auto-locks". Each of my last five cars has had the auto-lock feature, and fortunately the dealership was able to disable them.[*]Wood trim in a Corolla? Are you sure it wasn't aftermarket plastic that looks like wood? If that's what you had, I suspect that you can find aftermarket trim for the Mazda3 as well.[*]I don't have any feeling one way or another regarding the various controls.[*]Yup, the Mazda3 has one of the best driving cars in this segment[/ul]

Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 PM
LPG

lol
it sounds like you hate everything that i would enjoy in the car
lol
but to each their own.
But it seems we both agree we like the car.
It looks like the window controls and their position get a revamp on the 2010 model.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:10 PM

okay first of all. daytime running lights are automatic in canada so i dont worry about it. basically you want your lights off pull your ebrake up one notch. solves that problem, me personally i dont care its not like im looking at them. they do nothing for me. the locking thing is retarded. i never liked that in the first place. basically something tells me you are one of those people who would try to jump out of a car when driving lol. the illumination would be cool, and the radio and temp controls are PERFECT the place that they are. and what do you expect for a car thats a 15- 25K car. if you want class or something go buy a BMW or a mercedes. but imo for how much the car costs and the interior, they did a better job for sure then any cars in the same class. look at the sentra, yaris anything like that. i love my mazda3. best car ive ever owned (granted only owned 2 cars before hand *1991 chevy blazer* and *1998 toyota crapparolla* as for the window controls. they work? they go up and down? good enough lol.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:12 PM
LPG

wow, you guys take constructive critiscisms a touch too personally
im sorry i even bothered lol
eeeeek

Old 11-30-2008, 04:13 PM

Congrads on your new car.
I know you will enjoy it.
I have one question, and before getting an answer, I am pretty sure it will be "personal choice".
Giving that the sedan and hatchback are the same inside as far as dash, seats, doors etc, why would one choose the sedan over the hatchback?
The hatchback has the option of that storage area behind the rear seat plus, the seats fold down for even more storage room.
All you get with the sedan is the small trunk.
As a new buyer, what attracted you to the sedan as oppossed to the hatchback?
Bob.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Bob Hubbard

Congrads on your new car.
I know you will enjoy it.
I have one question, and before getting an answer, I am pretty sure it will be "personal choice".
Giving that the sedan and hatchback are the same inside as far as dash, seats, doors etc, why would one choose the sedan over the hatchback?
The hatchback has the option of that storage area behind the rear seat plus, the seats fold down for even more storage room.
Bob.
it aint that small. i can fit 4 10" subs lol. and still have room to put **** in there. as for you LPG lol. sorry but its just how i feel. i love my car as do you. but you cant have everything in a car unless you pay like 40K at least. for the money as i said the mazda3 is the best.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:19 PM
LPG

hmmm well first the hatchback at least where i am in new york are considerably more expensive
#2 im not a hatchback type of person (i feel its too small and god forbid i would get in an accident with it)
and i think hatchbacks are geared towards kids who want a souped up car, or want to take it and soup it up even more so.
to me the sedan is just more sleek and elegant while maintaining a sporty edge

The hatchback says ALL SPORT..... and im not 19 years old, where that would be something id want to project..
although on second thought i shouldnt say that
because my 60 year old mom is in the market for a new car
and she was attracted to the hatchback.... but i think more so for its compact size

Old 11-30-2008, 04:26 PM
LPG

by the way jaime all those extra touches that i mentioned i wish the mazda had,
the corolla that i owned had, and i payed less for my corolla than i did for the mazda 3
when all was said and done with my corolla LE plus spoiler, abs & stability controlwith tax i only paid 17,450.00
So i pretty much think if a car like the corolla (in that price range) can have what it had on it (all those lil extras that mean a lot)
so can the Mazda.
Also here in america (in new york), if you have daytime running lights on your car, it lowers your car insurance premium each month
Just my .02

Old 11-30-2008, 04:39 PM

As I too just took delivery of a sedan, I will respond to your question as well.
[ul][*]The hatchback is not available with the 2.0 liter engine which gets better fuel economy.[*]To my eyes at least, the sedan is a better looking car.[*]Given that the Mazda3 is to be a commuter car and that our other car is a minivan, utility was not even remotely a criteria.[*]The trunk on the sedan is not all that small, in fact, it was large enough to take my son and a buddie of his snow-boarding today.[*]I decided on the Mazda3 Sedan even though the other car in my top 2 was a hatchback VW Rabbit. Go figure.[/ul]

Quick Reply: Mazda 3 2009 Review