Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

LED replacement for OEM bulbs...???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Default LED replacement for OEM bulbs...???

Has anyone here ever used the LED-bulb replacements for the OEM bulbs, whether it be the dome light bulb, license plate bulb, etc??? If you're not sure what I mean or I'm not explaining it well, they usually look similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Without-Factor.../dp/B000LLEEOG

I have seen them for years online but never seen them in or on a car. I'm thinkin it would be cool to change, for instance, my dome light to a bright red so it would match the dash red theme. They are supposed to swap in place of the factory bulb and they look pretty bright. Of course, a colored license plate light would be pretty sick, but that is one of those moves that might draw a cop to ya real quick!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Default RE: LED replacement for OEM bulbs...???

Years ago I thought of purchasing color gels (the transparent sheets) and trying to create the effect myself, but from what I can guess,to trulymake a white bulb appeara rich color --like blue-- would take a dark blue gel, and would probably suck upthe majority of the light... making your nice white light into a very dimbut blue light! Kinda pointless then...

Old 02-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

There are plenty of ppl that have done this. I myself have LED bulbs in the rear tail/running/brake lights in my car as well as a XenonMod.com LED third brake light.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:53 PM

Got pics?

Old 02-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Lev

I've been wanting to put LED's on my car. On the inside and outside. I put the LED third brake light in and it looks good. I just need to put LED tail lights on, my next mod. Iwas looking for LED dome lights, but i don't know which ones fit. Once i find out i will get them, I just don't know which color, white or blue. Probably white so i can actually see around the car, but if anyone has pics of what the inside looks like with blue LED's then i might reconsider. I would like to change the map lights also, but again i don't know what size andthe number ofLED lights that would be sufficient, 4,6,8.While we are on the topic of changing lights, my glove compartment light is out, how do i go about changing it, and can i put LED's in there as well?

Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Lev

I found the size and im going with blue. I am ordering the map lights from http://www.thexenonstore.com/ledbulbs.php. The dome light is there, but it only has 6 LED's. Since I'm gettting the blue i want 9LED's so there is more light. $20 seems pretty high soI'm not going to use the site from the original post. I have discovered someting prettycool in my search for the 9 LED's. For those with fog lamps and the Canadians with DRL's, you can put LED's in. Here's the site http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/f...m/1/menu_num/3. I was thinking about putting these on for my fogs, pretty cool. I see people that waste money and blind people by putting HID's in there fogs.I don't have my fogs turned on because there is no need to have them on, but if i get these,the fogswill look great with my HID's. Once they arriveI will post pics.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:28 PM

What is the advantage of LED tail lights? Is it for looks or just so you won't ever have to replace a bulb? Tail lights usually last so long and the bulbs are so cheap... Seems like a lot of money/work to put into something that already does it's job and looks good...???

Lev,I know it's $20, but that light I found has9 LEDs and looks like it'd be real bright for a dome light, even for blue. I want to replace my map lights as well.... someone should create a post for part/bulb numbers...now that would be handy!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sizzlin07

Got pics?
Name:  IMG_0054W.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  38.5 KB

I bought the tails several years ago now... one of my first mods.I was hoping they would be brighter (15 LEDs) than the tungsten bulbs. They're not really, and they don't really look any different either, but do have a much faster reaction time which is the big plus.
LED bulbs have come a long way since then and brighter ones (20-24 high powered LEDs/bulb) are now available. I will change them out one day.
I've never liked that the tails are not easily seen by others in these cars.They are not the best design to be seen.I've had truckers stop to tell me my lower brake lights were out when they were working just fine because they can't see them from up there, especially during daylight hours. The third helps out a lot though. 60 LEDs pretty much fill the lens.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Lev

ORIGINAL: sizzlin07

What is the advantage of LED tail lights? Is it for looks or just so you won't ever have to replace a bulb? Tail lights usually last so long and the bulbs are so cheap... Seems like a lot of money/work to put into something that already does it's job and looks good...???

Lev,I know it's $20, but that light I found has9 LEDs and looks like it'd be real bright for a dome light, even for blue. I want to replace my map lights as well.... someone should create a post for part/bulb numbers...now that would be handy!!!
I bought that same dome light for $7. here's the site:
http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481. The advantage of LED tailights is that they are brighter and have a faster light up time than regular bulbs.I already had to replace one of my brake lights,so longevity is also a plus. I'mbuying them because they look cool. These were the ones i was considering
http://www.thexenonstore.com/mazda_led_tails.php I'm still searching around though.

Here's a site where you can find out all of the bulb sizes.
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/

Old 02-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Lev

I bought that same dome light for $7. here's the site:
http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/4481163/vpcsid/0/SFV/32481. The advantage of LED tailights is that they are brighter and have a faster light up time than regular bulbs.I already had to replace one of my brake lights,so longevity is also a plus. I'mbuying them because they look cool. These were the ones i was considering
http://www.thexenonstore.com/mazda_led_tails.php I'm still searching around though.
I like that first link. (Saved to favorites.)
The LED tails can be had cheaper (<$180/pr. shipped) on eBay though. I will probably do these one day too, simply because the OE's, which I prefer, are so damned expensive and hard to get. But I've never been a fan of the way the reverse lights look on these. They appear to be too big and are made to look even bigger by the smaller turn signal reflector. I may just keep the OE reverse light and swap out the outers.
The Xenon store is where I got my third, high mounted brake light from and it's worked flawlessly for me.I did install a resister inline with it to avoid bleed-over from the turn signals. It's hard to beat for <$40. I love it!!

Name:  IMG_0109W.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  41.7 KB

Quick Reply: LED replacement for OEM bulbs...???