Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Just put a Vibrant Strutbar on...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:31 PM
Default Just put a Vibrant Strutbar on...

i justgot avibrant strut bar ( http://www.autopartsway.com/performa...VEHID=9019_639) anyway...it was cheap so I decided why not. I put it on and tightened everything down to the best of my ability - but i notice that if i push on the bar itself in the center, it gives with the pressure....I checked my dads 2007 Acura TL and his big pipe of a strut bar and it doesnt give at all... Did i just get a shiny decoration for under my hood or will this strut bar actually help with my handling?

Old 05-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Default RE: Just put a Vibrant Strutbar on...

Well, it might of been just a show off strut bar. Usually strut bars are nice and sturdy like your dad's TL (btw, the TL are REALLY nice cars, too bad they aren't RWD, eh?)

Old 05-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

[font=californainfb]I also have the Vibrant, and truth be told I did it for much the same reasons as you did. Because the chassis of the 3 is pretty solid already, and strut bars are really only gonna help under higher stress levels, I was not expecting the world form it. But when I'm sideways in a corner in a two-wheeled drift, I think it helps keep everything lined up a bit better.I know it's doing something because I can see the paint stress cracking around the welds. And no, the welds are not breaking. They are strong,just flexing under the added load. To be expected, imo.
Did you replace the original upper strut plates, or mount the new ones on top of the OEM's?
It can be done either way, but for clearence sake I chose to leave the originals on and mount the Vib ones on top.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:14 PM

i left the original plates on and mounted the base to the top ofthem. today was the first day I drove the car with the strutbar installed and there actually was a difference. I wasnt expecting much - but waspleasantly suprised with how well the car tracked through turns i've taken before without it. id recommend it for a cheap strutbar - it looks real nice too.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

[font=californainfb] I agree! Not bad for under $60.
Mike,
With the spaces so tight under there, did you have any interference problems after installing on top od the original plates?
I ask because after the install, my hoodwas up on the RS. I thought well, I could trim the underhood insulation or just remove it. I decided to remove it first and see how it worked. I haven't reinstalled it yet and have had no further problems.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:38 PM

I have one on mine and there were no fitment issues (with the newer braces) but it's close. I do have to remove one side to access the battery but I don't consider that too much of a negative considering the price.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:58 AM

i didnt have any clearance problems with original plates left intact.