Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Introduction and Gasline Hesitation???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Default Introduction and Gasline Hesitation???

Hello All,

I may be new to your forum, but I have enjoyed Mazda's for quite some time. My first car was "Vergil" a faithfully reliable metalic green manual 4-dr "82 GLC. I know, not a good sign when you start naming them, but I do miss that car. As with many others, I'm sure, I have run the gambit on a large assortment of other vehicles over the years ranging from Alfa's to Volvo's. My other car(read Toy), is a 77 Austin Mini Cooper(RHD), but I digress. Aside from this short intro, my now daily driver is an "05 Mazda3s 5spd hatch, love the car but it has an issue I can't resolve.
Upon filling the vehicle up, one put's in the nozzle, clicks the safety and waits for it to dislodge indicating the fill is complete. Like most, when the nozzle clicks, it dosen't always mean that the tank is completely full. So generally you manually continue to add a 1/2 to 1 gallon or whatever is needed so you believe the tank is full. Apparently here in lies my delema. For the first 25-35 miles, or whatever it takes to run through the fuel overfill, I get major hesitation. Initially I though, OK, I just got some bad gas, but it has persisted with each fill-up.
I know, the easy answer is don't fill-up past the initial click, and it may solve the problem(untested as of yet), but it doesn't explain the reason. It doesn't matter which gear I'm in or the speed I'm going, every time I put my foot on the gas, it jerks like there is an air bubble in the line, or a crimp in the straw. You know how weird it is to travel in cruise control at 70mph on the highway, and your car is bucking like you can't get it out of 1st gear. I have put into the tank the gasline treatments, additives, and even dry gas(water in tank?). I even contacted the previous owner, guess what(no surprise), apparently he neglected to inform me it was an issue when he had the car. His dealer could only tell him it was bad gas. Given some of the previous owner's additions(AEM Air Intake), I asked him if some venting or regulator parts were not put back on, he said NO, but did indicate that he had replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor(that was to be my next question). Well that's my quandry Mazda-Forum Land, is there anybody who might be able to provide some sound advise or a fix for my problem. Thanks Keith