Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Installing Coilovers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Default Installing Coilovers...

How hard is it to install Tein SS Coilovers on the Mazda3 sedan? On a mechanical scale of 1 - 5, id say im anywhere from a 2 to a 3 (on a good day)...is there any hope that i could install this by myself or maybe with the help of a friend?

is it easier to install just springs and new struts?

Old 04-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Default RE: Installing Coilovers...

hey mike. about a month ago, two of my friends and i set up shop in my buddies garage in buffalo, ny and spent the day installing a Tein Basic Coilover system on my 3s. if youve never done anything like this before, i highly recommend having an extra set of hands or two to help you out. the installation really isnt too difficult once you figure out what exactly needs to be done.

youre going to need a hyrdolic jack, the jackstand that came with your car, a torque wrench, and a good amount of tools, including ratchets, a big *** mallet, open ended wrenches, etc.

**note: be extra careful when removing the stock upper mount from the two front dampers...when you remove them, they kind of jump off, and underneath them are 26 ball bearings (give or take a few) that will shoot everywhere if youre not careful.

when youre doing the installation and if you hit a rough spot and get stuck, just hop on here and post your question, id be more than happy to help you out. either that or we could exchange IM screen names.

this installation was a lot of fun to do, and a good money saver. have fun, and be careful

-jeff

Old 04-30-2006, 05:58 PM

thanks a bunch buddy, i appreciate it...ill be talkin to ya

Old 04-30-2006, 07:51 PM

yeah, no problem at all. my AIM screen name is the same as my user name on here, so IM me anytime.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:01 PM

I have never installed Coilovers but did a set of H&R Sport Springs once on Corolla 94, looked underneath MAzda3 and didn't look hard at all, it will be the most difficult thing you will ever do if you do it alone RATED "5" difficulty, but if you have 2-3 friends with you just for a company, lots more interesting and much quicker installation, plus as you know more heads you have less chances you will screw up. This way "3" in difficulty. Its always good to have boddies around when working on the car. Without them you may never accomplish this task, get mad, screw it up and maybe get hurt, and this is very unsatisfying. The other thing, most important, have Jack stands 2-3, easier, Spring compressor, if you have the whole coilover set, it will be easier. Good luck.