Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

How to Remove Rear Center Seat Belt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Default How to Remove Rear Center Seat Belt?

I have a 2010 Mazda 3. I am trying to figure out how to remove the center seat belt in the back because it gets in the way when I put the seats down. The 2 outer seat belts I am able to put to the side when the seats are down, but the center seat belt (the one that comes down over your shoulder) just gets in the way, and I can not figure out how to remove it. I have searched all over the internet and the car manual, and I can not find anything? Does anyone know how to remove it (or retract it or something)?

Old 06-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Look where the seat belt meets with the cushions of the back seat. It should be a similar mechanism to a standard male/female seatbelt connection, however this one is a slightly smaller size. Look at the side of it and there should be a little slot you can stick a key into to release the shoulder belt, then you'll end up with the seatbelt coming out of the retraction spool with two male ends (one smaller).

If the gen II is like the gen I then there should be little slots near where it retracts to to stick the male ends into to keep them from rattling around.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:11 PM

Just to make sure, the key slot is inside the hole (where the seat belt meets the cushion) on the side. I couldn't find it the first time, but I'll try again later with a flashlight and see if I can see it. If not, I'll just start sticking my key in the sides hoping I find a hole.

And I did find the slot where it retracts where you can stick the male end of the seat belt.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 PM

I think they changed the center seat belt on the 2010 and up models. I looked at the manual for a 2009 Mazda 3, and then I looked at a 2010 manual, and the center seat belt setup is different. In fact, in the 2010 model, they don't even tell you a way to retract the center seat belt, unlike the 2009 manual.

In my 2010 Mazda 3, the center seat belt connects directly into the seat, instead of connecting into an anchor.

So in a pre 2010 car, it would have 2 anchors and 2 tongues, but in my car, there is only one anchor, and one tongue. So it looks like I'm screwed. Someone else in another forum told me I would have to un-bolt it, but that would require taking the seat out....Don't think I'll do that.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Odd. I haven't seen a 2nd gen personally so I can't comment on it. Mind posting a picture of where it attaches to the seat base if you have a moment?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:41 PM

Ok I have a few pictures of it all here. I never did take the seat out, and it is too tight to take a picture of whats inside the hole. If you really want to see, I can try and take a picture but no guarantees if it will come out right. The belt just goes in the whole, and I think there is a hook on the end of the belt and it connects directly to the seat (not connecting to an anchor).

Attached Thumbnails How to Remove Rear Center Seat Belt?-photo-jun-14-5-57-01-pm.jpg   How to Remove Rear Center Seat Belt?-photo-jun-14-5-57-34-pm.jpg   How to Remove Rear Center Seat Belt?-photo-jun-14-5-57-39-pm.jpg   How to Remove Rear Center Seat Belt?-photo-jun-14-5-58-05-pm.jpg  
Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by darthluke12694
Ok I have a few pictures of it all here. I never did take the seat out, and it is too tight to take a picture of whats inside the hole. If you really want to see, I can try and take a picture but no guarantees if it will come out right. The belt just goes in the whole, and I think there is a hook on the end of the belt and it connects directly to the seat (not connecting to an anchor).
Hmm, I see what you mean. Well clearly from the slot at the rear deck it's designed to come loose and be tucked away there, so it must release somehow.

Since you say it has a hook at the end I wonder if it just clips into the bottom cushion via a LATCH type connecter....... long hook with a spring closure to keep it from popping out. It's really hard not being able to play with it hands on..... perhaps I can find one local to play with and see if I can figure it out.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by icspots
Hmm, I see what you mean. Well clearly from the slot at the rear deck it's designed to come loose and be tucked away there, so it must release somehow.

Since you say it has a hook at the end I wonder if it just clips into the bottom cushion via a LATCH type connecter....... long hook with a spring closure to keep it from popping out. It's really hard not being able to play with it hands on..... perhaps I can find one local to play with and see if I can figure it out.

I'm sure it releases somehow, the questions is how? Like I said before, pre 2010 models say in the manual how to detach it, but 2010 and after models do not say in the manual how to detach it. So maybe Mazda doesn't want us to know how to detach it?

I'll try and get a picture of how it attaches to the seat tomorrow if I'm able to make it work. If you are able to find one to play with let me know what you saw. I'm not knowledgable enough mess around with removing my seats, etc just to remove the seat belt. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

I managed to take a look inside a 2nd gen 5-door today when I ran to the grocery store. The interesting difference between it and the sedan you have is that the center shoulder belt actually feeds in from inside the seat back vs. in the rear deck. Why they didn't do that on the sedan too I couldn't say.

Again yours must detach somehow or they wouldn't have put the slot in. Hopefully I'll find a sedan I can fiddle with and see if I can figure it out. If you manage it post back up so we know the solution.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 PM

I'm not able to get a picture of it, but it does look like it is bolted down. The seatbelt is attached to a hook, which is then attached to the seat using a bolt. It's kind of hard to describe. Unfortunately, I won't be able to remove the bolt without removing the seats, which I don't really want to do.
Thanks for your help though! If I do figure out a solution I'll post it on here.